1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

How To: Fix Broken Hood Release Handle

Discussion in 'Interior / Audio / Electronics DIY How-To's' started by DaggWood, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. DaggWood

DaggWood New Member

I just bought a 1996 Honda Civic EX last Mont.
    The plastic latch to pop the hood was broke off, but I was still able to pull the cable with pliers.
    It's a pain in the ass to not have a release handle.

[​IMG]

I was thinking to get a new Cable release handle from a scrapyard but what if it break again...
    So i decided to make one that would not break somehow.

This was my solution to the problem. A T-Handle Tap Wrench.

[​IMG]

Easy to install, nothing to remove in the car, don't look that bad, will not bread again.

To install it simply remove some plastic at the tip of the handle cable.

[​IMG]

Cut the T-Handle Tap Wrench handle to the length you want. I use a dremel to cut the handle.

[​IMG]

Insert the T-Handle Tap Wrench on the tip of the cable handle and tight the T-Handle Tap Wrench around it.
    That's all there is to it, simple and solid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CIVIC_VTEC

CIVIC_VTEC LOW AND SLOW! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

looks better like that instead or stock my opinion

3. cheeseneck

cheeseneck Already RHD Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

yeah looks real race-y...

4. spoon egg

spoon egg Teeth Doctor Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

that's such a good idea! great job! i need to do that too because that bastard broke off on me in the winter time. It would be my 2nd 6th gen civic that has done that too me.

5. Laozy

Laozy New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

That looks really cool imo. Nice job :thumbs up

6. NYGraFFit1

NYGraFFit1 I Tap JdmPrncss Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

wow looks good, god forbid my s**t would of ever broke i would of rode around with no hood like a bastard on purpose

7. AllStockHatch

AllStockHatch Unregistered User Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I like the look. I shall give this a shot in the near future.

8. lillayziie

lillayziie New Member

Lol that s**t happened to my Civic and I just use pliers. =) Great idea!

9. red98civ

red98civ New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

looks good man. i just left mine as a "nub" b/c its just an extra few seconds that it'll take a thief to pop my hood.

10. SoJ1Ro

SoJ1Ro just sit back and enjoy Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

like where you get it from? home depot? and u jus like screw it in? im sorry but i never seen this before so i just want to know. mines broke too so i want to do this

11. DaggWood

DaggWood New Member

it work the same way as a tip of a drill, put the pin in and turn the tip to tighten it. and ya home depot might have it.

12. Peter_O

Peter_O New Member

This is exactly what I need

Nice job Daggwood. This is exactly what I need. Where can I buy one and approx what cost? I live in rural B.C. about 1 1/2 hrs from Kamloops so don't have lots of stores available. On line I see them as cheap as $3 in the U.S. but $20 in Canada and the U.S. doesn't ship here.

13. DaggWood

DaggWood New Member

Well you can get the T-Handle Tap Wrench at CanadianTire or HomeDepot or anywhere they sell tools.
    Mine cost like $3.99 i think at CanadianTire.

14. zachkelly

zachkelly New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

I like it! i have a keychain ring on mine right now and it kills my finger when i pull it

15. Ej8Kid

Ej8Kid Too Much Traction Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Awesome, mines been broken for a very long time and it is a pain to pull. But like someone stated above, it'll take a thief a few seconds longer to pop my hood. But I may do this in the near future, but with a little creativity, a Red Honda Emblem?

16. rebirth

rebirth New Member 5+ Year Member

Same here. Mine was broken when I purchased the car. There is a technique to opening it with your hand and no pliers. I think it's better for thieves, but that looks sick. I would paint mine to match the car though.

17. slammedej8

slammedej8 New Member 5+ Year Member

thieves open hoods from the outside of the car, by the front bumper or driver side fender, thats where the hood latch cable is found

18. Crimson

Crimson New Member

Sweet I also purchased my car about a month ago with the same problem. Gonna get one of my tooling buddies to make me a custom tap handle. Sounds like honda has alot of problems with this. Why no recall?

19. JaredB

JaredB New Member 5+ Year Member

Because it's made out of flimsy plastic, and someone broke it. If anything it would be covered under a warranty and have no need to be recalled. It's not like it causes the car to spontaneously combust.

To OP. That's sick man, might have to have something similar made, perhaps you should start making them and selling them. You've got my purchase. :D

20. Crimson

Crimson New Member