How to fix faded cloth seats

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I noticed my racing seats had been faded horribly from the sun so I looked around at my options and found Simply Spray Upholstery paint. Here’s a how to on how to dye your seats.
Materials needed:
Simply Spray Upholstery paint I got black they have tons of colors.

Big ass piece of cardboard

Before:

1. Remove the seat completely from your car. Ahhh look at that sun fade on the shoulder bolsters.

2. Vacuum the hell out of the seat. Make sure you get every piece of hair out of the seat. If you have cats or dogs this is where your headache begins. I found that with a piece of tape wrapped around my finger with the adhesive side out, I was able to pull most of the dog hair out of my seat.

3. Keep Vacuuming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress how important it is to vacuum your seats till they look like new (minus the faded spots)

4. This is the point in time where you want to inspect your seat front and back make sure everything is in one piece. Also note where the faded spots are so when it comes paint time you know right where to start.

5. Place a huge ass piece of cardboard in the grass and put your seat on top. Make sure that you have a good spot out of the wind.

6. Before spraying its probably best to recline the seat which will provide a flat “canvas” for your painting.
7. Now start spraying just like you would car side to side nice even coats. Stay about 6 inches from the seat while you spray. Let this first coat dray for a while…I gave it about a half hour to 45 minutes. This is like your primer. It will bond to the seat fibers and promote adhesion for the rest of the coats. Do not be afraid to rub the paint with your hands. It won’t stain your hands and by doing this you are helping the paint seep into the fibers better.

8. Reapply and wait 15 minutes then repeat till you get the desired color. Keep rubbing the paint into the fabric but do not rub too hard…message the seat. Don’t concentrate on the good spots. Focus on the faded spots and try to blend them into the rest of the seat fabric.

Here’s how I started to faded the paint. The wet spots are where I loaded the paint on and I slowly let off as I got to the darker areas:

9. If you are painting over embroidered emblems use a nice slow spray across it as the emblem will require a lot more paint then the rest of your seat. I had the red r in tenzo r to deal with. The best way I found was to flip the seat on its back and spray a pond of paint on top of the red thread and let it slowly soak in. Rub the hell out of the thread and push the paint into the gaps.

Now just let the seat cure for 3 days and you should be good to go. I fyour seats feel tacky that means you have too much paint till on them. Take a warm damp wash cloth and blotch it on the seat then take a dry towel and rub the hell out of the seats. Repeat until your seats are softer.

After:

Took about 3 hours if you do it carefully plus the three days to dry.

Enjoy

Britt

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did that on my stock seats, it worked for a bit, but after they started to fade again. My input would to dye them. I did it to my carpet and no fade. its a bit messy, but color stays in good. I recommend Dye Rit.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i would have died them but i cant get the upholster off the seat without destroying the seat. unless theres a way of dying while the fabric is still on the frame??

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how are those tenzo seats anyways? good write up.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i like them for 600 with rails and free shipping it wasnt a bad price...they are not very comfortable for people with a waiste bigger then 36...my dad says they suck and hes a 36

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was goin to get them for 125 but.. they were faded. thats why i didnt buy. should have posted this earlier!!! jk