Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hey all.

Here I'm going to outline the things that I had to do, to get my d16z6 to pass emissions in my 98 Honda Civic Sedan.

Usually I run the z6 ECU with a obd1-obd2a Jumper Harness and that runs just perfect. VTEC kicks in at 4800 with this ecu and runs perfect, couldn't be happier.

Well, it is time for emissions here in CT and so, we all know that you can't plug in the OBD2 Scanner and have it read the OBD1 ECU. There is our problem. I need to use an OBD2a ecu so that when they look it up to the scanner, it will be able to read all of the sensors and everything will be fine.

The ECU I used was out of the DelSol Vtec - which had the DOHC B16 engine. Now, with this ecu, I'll be able to keep VTEC for the time being. But, it's not just plug and play. Upon plugging it in to see if the car would even start...I get 3 check engine lights:

1. 2nd o2 sensor - not reading (that's because I haven't put it back in yet)

2. Crank Fluctuation Sensor - This needs to be bypassed, i'll explain later.

3. Vtec isn't wired correctly so it's throwing a code for that.

All three of these things are easy to fix.

First off - 2nd o2 - Put your 2nd o2 sensor back into your header/cat, etc where it's supposed to go. If need be you can do the spark plug non-fouler trick if you have a bad cat or test pipe:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/229-electrical/329421-diy-o2-sensor-bypass-spark-plug-non-fouler-trick-installation-w-pics.html

Very simple, half hour or less job.

Alright, next is the crankshaft fluctuation sensor - There is a quick little wiring that you need to do in order to bypass that, and you can find that by clicking this link:

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm

Perfect, now that you're done that, Next step is to wire in vtec correctly for this ECU. Since I knew that I would be switching between ecu's every couple of years, I already installed some quick disconnects, so all I had to do was disconnect them, read the wire harness schematics which can be found here:

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/wiring.obd2a.htm

and wired in vtec correctly - it should be all straight forward.

and BAM - you should be done. But, you're not. If you were to plug everything back in and take it for a test drive, you'd shortly find out that you have yet one more CEL. And that'll be for the knock sensor (depending on what model civic you have) Since I'm using the B16 ECU and my 1998 Civic LX Sedan does not come pre wired for knock sensor, I had to pin it in and wire it up using this bypass:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1181854

I'm glad to report back that everything works like it should, I have no CEL's, VTEC engages at 5500 RPM's like it should and I'm all set for emissions in CT.

I hope that helps anyone that has an obd1 engine in their obd2 cars. This is what I had to do so that mine would pass. If you have any questions, post here and I'll help out as much as I can.

:cool:

RonJ

Banned
Just for clarification, it's the CKF (crankshaft fluctuation sensor) not the CKP (crankshaft position sensor) that must be bypassed.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just for clarification, it's the CKF (crankshaft fluctuation sensor) not the CKP (crankshaft position sensor) that must be bypassed.
ohhhhhhhh, that makes sense now. Gotcha! Thanks for that, I'll change it now.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good info

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Funny, Glad that I posted this up - I have emissions coming up again and I forgot exactly what I had to do.

:thumbup

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have an OBD1 motor in an OBD2 car but I have way more codes than that. It's not going to pass, ever.