How To: Ground Wire Replacement For Your Civic

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The type of wire you use is important. Don't just use any type of wire. The bigger the wire the better and use good terminals....gold plated is better than discount auto terminals. I used 4 gauge Rockford oxygen free grounding wire and even replaced both the positive and negative battery terminal connectors. I took out all of the factory ground wires and replaced them with the 4 gauge wire. I connected the tranny to the negative terminal dirrectly since the terminal mount had two 4 gauge outputs. Then I went from the tranny to the throttle body, from there to the alternator, and from there to the power steering mount. Then the power steering mount goes to the frame of the car, this was one of the factory wire mounting locations. Wiring in a series like this is the best way to do a grounding kit. Make sure where the connections are to the body that all of the paint on the frame is removed down to the bare mettal, this insures a solid ground. The electrical system in a car actually runs from the negative to the positive, this is why a good size ground wire for any electrical component is necesary. Use oxygen free wires cause this will resist corrosion which will slow down the elctrical flow through the wires. It is also a good idea to not only crimp the wires, a bad crimp/connection can cause a voltage drop of 1 volt, but also solder the wire to the connector. If done right you should notice an improved throttle responce, smoother idle, and smoother overall engine performance. I would show you pics, but mine looks just like Gabe's pretty much......go figure. lol

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
loccusst said:
I connected the tranny to the negative terminal dirrectly since the terminal mount had two 4 gauge outputs.
What kind of terminal mount did you use and where did you get it? Thanks for the added info.

Can you take a picture of the battery connections?

Last edited:

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
great info loccust. Do you think you gained some hp or tq?

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used Rockford Fosgate gold battery terminals. There are two differant sized ones....one for the negative and one for the positive. The poles on a battery are differant sized, safety I guess. A positive wont fit on to the negative cause the negative terminal is smaller. The terminals and connections look just like any thing you would find in any car audio magazine, but I'll get a pic up saturday if I can. Anyway, I think I actually gained torque more than hp. Maybe one or two hp if any. What you are gaining is better spark and better throttle response. When you ground the throttle/intake area you are helping out the TPS and the other sensors in the throttle area. The original grounding wire is rather small.....probably 10 or 12 gauge, if that big. I grounded most of the components seperatly to see what actually helped. I think grounding the throttle/intake area really helped out the most. I got everything I used at work, two of the 4 gauge ground wire kits, like three packages of 4 gauge gold connectors and two gold battery terminals.

WardsWarrior

No civic having..
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Should you stack the ground wires on existing bolts directly on the parts, or can you just stack em on a near by bolt. I'm thinking the efficient way would, be to use a bolt directly on the part (ground point).

Also that lineage site had the block as a ground option in the 2nd layout, can you just use any bolt on the block?

WardsWarrior

No civic having..
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh yeah the IM ground makes since now after reading the info on the lineage site (great info, thanks for the link btw), but I'm still puzzled on the power steering pump.

What's it's gains?

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
loccusst said:
I used Rockford Fosgate gold battery terminals. There are two differant sized ones....one for the negative and one for the positive. The poles on a battery are differant sized, safety I guess. A positive wont fit on to the negative cause the negative terminal is smaller. The terminals and connections look just like any thing you would find in any car audio magazine, but I'll get a pic up saturday if I can. Anyway, I think I actually gained torque more than hp. Maybe one or two hp if any. What you are gaining is better spark and better throttle response. When you ground the throttle/intake area you are helping out the TPS and the other sensors in the throttle area. The original grounding wire is rather small.....probably 10 or 12 gauge, if that big. I grounded most of the components seperatly to see what actually helped. I think grounding the throttle/intake area really helped out the most. I got everything I used at work, two of the 4 gauge ground wire kits, like three packages of 4 gauge gold connectors and two gold battery terminals.

Sweet! I'm not crazy! I felt like I gained torque and hp too. cool. thanks for the info too.

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think that he put the ps pump in his drawing for reference, he didn't actually ground it. I think.

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright, tommora i am going to post real pictures of my all my ground points to end all this confusion.

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the start ups maybe a tad... honestly the sub sounds different, haha, maybe cuz the head unit settings got resest? but 100% definate smoother acceleration. quicker? faster? feels like it, but i doubt it actually is. the smoothness is money thou. def worth the 20 bucks and one hour.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On my 99 civic ex, one of the factory grounding points is from the frame to the steering pump bracket. Thats why I used it. I also stacked all my grounds except for the conection on the intake manifold since there were two bolts right next to each other.

bad6as

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does any one think having more then just teh one ground (battery-chassie) would be better i was thinking so it can flow a lil better and not having to flow only 1 way so if i went from valve cover to teh factory spot by the headlight if it would help

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bad6as said:
does any one think having more then just teh one ground (battery-chassie) would be better i was thinking so it can flow a lil better and not having to flow only 1 way so if i went from valve cover to teh factory spot by the headlight if it would help
yeah, that sounds pretty good. that's what i did.

Last edited:

WardsWarrior

No civic having..
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok I didn't get the last part, know what should there be more than one of? Which ground are we talkin about? And where should the second one be placed?

bad6as

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
once you daisy chained your ground wires togeather they need to be grounded some where. if you look in the drawing the only ground i had was the one from the battery to the chassie. that was the only ground (on the chassie i had) but i was thinking why only one so then i put one from the ps pump/valve cover to the factory ground spot above teh headlight

Oo_azNite_oO

ej8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can you ground from tranny to starter?
When i did that, it burnt that one wire and i couldn't start my car, so i remove it. Every other wires like the battery, intake, block, and alternator were ok. Did i do something wrong?

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oo_azNite_oO said:
can you ground from tranny to starter?
Yes, I used the factory tranny ground location, it goes, (battery, starter, tranny, chassis) Hope this helps.