How To: GSR Guage Cluster Install in EG & EK.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HOW TO: gsr gauge cluster install in EG & EK

GSR cluster install modSearched info provided by iselfdevi

Ok, ok here it is. Everything you need to know to install a full working gsr cluster into a the eg or ek civic. I am NOT taking any credit for the information, but i am taking credit for all the research i have done in acually doing this mod. As far as wiring goes, about 80% of all the wires are the same color for both gsr and civic. So, that makes the wire much easier for you.So, have fun and a big THANK YOU for those who provided the info and all the write-ups for this awsome mod.For those who provided the info and the write-ups please email me at iselfdevi@verizon.net so i can post it. For all respect.

LINKS
94-98 gsr cluster into 92-95 civic with pics and wire color chart
gsr cluster into 96-00 civic with pics and wire color chart

FIRST THINGS FIRST
The gsr cluster is NOT a plug-and-play install. I heard you can just repin the wires on the 96-00 civic, and if that true then go for it. Just becareful not to pull the wire from the metal pins. If you dont want to repin then you must get a gsr cluster with the harnesses to do this mod. The stock civic harnesses must be cut off so the gsr harnesses can be wired in. There is some cutting involved in this mod, but it's nothing to major. The hardest part is the wiring process. I suggest you solder all the wires because solder never comes undone unlike butt connectors. Solder is the BEST connection. I have been installing radios, amps, and alarms for the past few years and trust me solder is the way to go.

TOOLS
The following tools are needed;
1.Soldering iron
2.Solder (very small gauge)
3.Wire strippers
4.Wire cutters
5.High quality electrical tape (3M is perfect)
6.Print out of the wire color chart----->Wire color chart for 92-95 civic ----->Wire color chart for 96-00 civic
7.Dremel (never leave home without one!!!)
8.Philips head screwdriver

WIRING CHARTS
Quick link of the chart below but I cleaned it up a bit and made it printable!
and here is the wire color chart that are going around the web for the 92-95 civic. i am not taking any props for this!!!
Integra Blue Left Side Plug (13 pins)
1. BLU - Tach signal
2. GRN/ORG - Check engine indicator
3. YEL/RED - Oil pressure switch
4. -not app
5. WHT/BLU - Charge indicator
6. -not app
7. YEL/GRN - Coolant temp
8. BLK - Ground
9. RED/BLU - Cruise control (if you have cruise)
10. YEL - Hot
11. -not app
12. PINK - Maintenance (not used)
13. -not app

Integra Right Side Blue Plug (16 pins)
1. GRN/RED - E-Brake signal
2. RED/GRN - High beam
3. GRN/YEL - Right turn
4. GRN/BLU - Left turn
5. -not app
6. BLK/YEL - Power
7. RED/BLK - Power
8. RED - Power
9. BLU/RED - ABS (not used)
10. GRN - Trunk switch
11. ORG - Vehicle speed sensor
12. -not app
13. BLU/WHT - Low fuel (not used)
14. YEL/WHT - Fuel gauge
15. LGT. GRN/RED - Door switch (not used)
16. RED/BLU - Seat belt

Civic Left Side Grey Plug (12 pins)
1. YEL/WHT - Fuel gauge
2. YEL/BLU - Vehicle speed sensor
3. GRN/YEL - Right turn
4. GRN/BLU - Left turn
5. WHT/BLU - Charge
6. YEL/RED - Oil pressure switch
7. -not app
8. BLU - Tach signal
9. -not app
10. BLK/YEL - Power
11. RED/BLK - Power
12. RED - Power

Civic Right Side Grey Plug (10 pins)
1. RED/GRN - High beam indicator
2. GRN/RED - E-Brake signal
3. -not app
4. -not app
5. GRN/ORG - Check engine indicator
6. BLK - Ground
7. YEL/GRN - Coolant temp
8. YEL - Hot
9. GRN - Trunk switch
10. BLU/WHT - Seat belt

PICS
96-00 (ek) civic

92-95 (eg) civic

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good writeup.. I used it this past weekend in my EJ6.
It is, BY FAR, easier/quicker to repin the 96-00 plugs to correspond with the GSR cluster, than it is to cut/solder.. Literally took my like 15 minutes studying the wiring, and 20 minutes to repin both blue plugs. Everything worked like a champ!
Made little mounting brackets from old radio mounting straps.. Used the 'no longer used' speed clips from in the dash where the original EJ cluster screwed to the top, placed those on the GSR cluster, and used the same corresponding screws to fasten the new brackets to the cluster.
the lower corners of the cluster trim bezel do not fit perfect, but this weekend, if time permits, I'll modify the bezel to fit the GSR cluster's profile, more accurately..
also did the red backlit conversion at the same time...

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
QUESTION!! will the JDM gsr cluster have the same wiring...I have a good opportunity to buy a jdm cluster for about $75 and I was wonderin if the wiring would be the same.....

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
should be the same as the integra pinouts above.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright....and i can't open the wiring charts...what kinda file is it?

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
RTF file = Rich Text File.. Microsoft Word or Wordpad will work.. right-click the link and "Save As.." then open it.

rey_boricua

2000 EM1 B16A2T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i am going to try this next weekend hopefully everything goes good

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Excellent write up, Thank You. Will be selling my JDM cluster and doing this instead very soon.

kakawulala

5+ Year Member
Need help with GSR Gauge

My car is 94 Civic Coupe DX AT, the basic model of 5th generation. I want to swap the Cluster to Integra's. However, for DX model, it doesn't come with the "RPM Gauge." Could I still make the wire connection from engine to RPM Gauge on Integra's cluster? Do you know how? Another question is if I buy a MT Cluster, not AT, for my AT car, will that be a problem? Thank you very much and appreciate you time!

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As for the tach working - it'll work fine. the tachwire is already in the harness.

Just get an AT cluster - a couple more wires to contend with, but no biggie. If you get an MT cluster, I don't think there will be any issues, other than not having dash-mounted gear selector position... :what:

kakawulala

5+ Year Member
Thank you very much!

Thank you for answering my question and your advising is very helpful to me! It is great thing to be in here and have so many friends who like HONDA CIVIC. I wish we can work more out in the future! =)

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dumb question: Do I need the Integra wiring harnesses (blue plugs) or can I just re-pin my Civic harnesses (white plugs) and use them?

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry for bringing back the dead, but noone seem to answer the question above..how do i fit the clear cover on?? i can't make it fit..

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
without reading through all the posts again, I will say that 2000-01 GSR cluster wiring pinouts are different that 94-99 models, due to immobilizer circuits..

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
honda-tech have one write up about it..search for it...i can't remember what it is..