How To Install a Turbo Kit on D-series ?

Manuel EK3

Hello Guys.!

What i got here is an EMUSA T3/T4 complete turbo kit fitting D-series (ebay link here http://www.ebay.de/itm/Honda-Civic-Complete-Turbo-Kits-D-Series-EX-Si-1-6L-SOHC-VTEC-I-4-125HP-D16Z6-/230958468950?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c6328f56 )
And i aslo found a YouTube tutorial how to install it ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5H3YAtYzw )

The question is can i do it at home ? With usually tools ? I`ve got medium mechanical skills. The way it shows in the vid dosent really semms hard for me ... but i`m asking you guys it is there any triky part on it ?

And how i know if the turbo its balanced ?

Respectfully Manuel.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd be careful with that kit. eBay turbo's are notorious for leaky seals and could cause other issues as well. At least it came with an iron cast manifold though.

You still need bigger fuel injectors, and probably a better fuel pump as well.

You should be able to do most of this yourself as long as you have the tools. It's not hard, just time consuming. Depending on your exhaust you may need to have that custom bolted / welded to the downpipe. I would recommend a flexpipe in between.

The important part: Tuning! Without a proper tune your motor probably won't last long.

What year / model car do you have? If it's 96+ you'll need to get an OBDI ECU for tuning purposes. Regardless, you'll need an ECU with a basemap meant for your setup. That would at least get you to a tuning shop without damaging anything. I would get the car professionally tuned as a long as that's available to you there.

Last edited:

Manuel EK3

I'd be careful with that kit. eBay turbo's are notorious for leaky seals and could cause other issues as well. At least it came with an iron cast manifold though.

You still need bigger fuel injectors, and probably a better fuel pump as well.

You should be able to do most of this yourself as long as you have the tools. It's not hard, just time consuming. Depending on your exhaust you may need to have that custom bolted / welded to the downpipe. I would recommend a flexpipe in between.

The important part: Tuning! Without a proper tune your motor probably won't last long.

What year / model car do you have? If it's 96+ you'll need to get an OBDI ECU for tuning purposes. Regardless, you'll need an ECU with a basemap meant for your setup. That would at least get you to a tuning shop without damaging anything. I would get the car professionally tuned as a long as that's available to you there.
I`ve got an stock 6th gen ek3 with d15z6 engine from 95.. i don`t know witch kind of ecu got on it. So i have one more request could you write a list what else i need for this turbokit (ofcorse excluding the things witch is already on).

And about the fuel injectros, fuel pump and the ECU what happens if i don`t change these things ?

Thanks for your answer. Respectfully Manuel.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And about the fuel injectros, fuel pump and the ECU what happens if i don`t change these things ?
No way around it, you bring in more air, you need more fuel. It's the way it works. It's forced induction 101.

The ECU needs to be tuned to run the extra air and fuel. Without it you run the high risk of destroying the motor in a very very very short period of time.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I`ve got an stock 6th gen ek3 with d15z6 engine from 95.. i don`t know witch kind of ecu got on it. So i have one more request could you write a list what else i need for this turbokit (ofcorse excluding the things witch is already on).

Thanks for your answer. Respectfully Manuel.
No way around it, you bring in more air, you need more fuel. It's the way it works. It's forced induction 101.

The ECU needs to be tuned to run the extra air and fuel. Without it you run the high risk of destroying the motor in a very very very short period of time.
^ This. Though since you have a 95, you already have an ODBI ECU. You can reuse that ECU but you'll still need to get it chipped and tuned and whatnot. For fuel injectors, if you want to take the cheap route you can find cheap from a used Mitubishi Eclipse GSX or an Eagle Talon, but you'll need to wire up a resistor box.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All of these things should have been thought about and researched about before purchasing the kit.

Manuel EK3

Thaks guys !! You saved me from a big mistake... now i see clear.. i think the best is to find a tuning shop and let them handle it... but you know i`m leaving in Germany right now and here the tuning its not so popular.... so by the way thanks again !!!!

Respectfully Manuel !!!!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can definitely install it yourself with medium mechanical skills, I installed my turbo kit in 2 days with only a 140 piece craftsman toolkit that only goes to 19mm , I did have to buy a few extra wrenches though. You will either have to weld up your own exhaust or drive your car with only a downpipe until you can get to an exhaust shop for a full exhaust. You can order a basemap from someone like xenocron or pherable but that is just to get the car drivable to a dyno or anyone who can tune the car.

If there are very little tuners it might be wise to learn to tune yourself but there can be major problems if you mess up

Manuel EK3

I have a request can anybody write a list what do i need for a complete turbo kit for a d15z6 i want to reach around 300hp.

And maybe a wesbshop where i can get the parts witch ships to eu aslo...

Many thanks Respectfully. Manuel