1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

How To: Install shift boot, e-brake boot and lid cover

Discussion in 'Interior / Audio / Electronics DIY How-To's' started by dbramaged, Mar 23, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. dbramaged

dbramaged New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

After posting pictures of my interior, people have been asking how to do this, so here it is:

Depending on the year of your car, it may vary, but it's pretty simple. (Instructions based off 6th Gen)
    This method will not allow use of factory e-brake handle, must have aftermarket e-brake handle.

Shift Boot
    1. Remove Shift knob
    2. Remove the center console, rear section and front.
    3. 2 screws are holding shift boot in place, remove those and the bracket and boot pulls right out
    4. remove shift boot from bracket, !!! BE CAREFUL !!! although it's a light metal it will easily cut you if your grip slips as I cut one of my fingers to the bone!!!
    5. Grab the new shift boot, wrap around bracket and make slits to match
    6. replace bracket and shift boot back in console

E-Brake Handle & Boot
    7. E-BRAKE! This is fun! - Remove the handle any way you feel comfortable - I cut my e-brake handle off with a dremel & cutting wheel
    8. remove rubber boot.
    9. Install new boot and slide down the e-brake as far as you can to make room for your new AFTERMARKET handle
    10. install new e-brake handle as far onto the lever as possible to make sure the button will engage fully
    11. Pull E-Brake boot over base of handle (Most aftermarket handles have a lip to fit the boot over - I had to use a flat head and work it around for a tight fit

Center Console Armrest Cover
    12. There are 2 philips screws holding the cover in place - remove them and the lid comes right off
    13. There are 3-4 more screws on the under side of the cover holding the plastic in place - remove screws and the plastic inside will pull from the lid
    14. Either you can remove the OEM fabric or leave it on, I left mine on. Wrap the lip with the new cover - pulling the excess material into the under side of the lid - Try to remove all wrinkles near the edges
    15. replace plastic inside to the lid by loosely installing the removed screws to allow for some adjustments. The plastic piece will pull the remaining excess material once you tighten the screws complete.
    16. Use a flat head or butter knife carefully to flatten any wrinkles and wedge under the lid
    17. re-install lid to console and put back into car
    18. Install front section of Console and replace shift knob.

You're done! - Enjoy the new interior pieces... If you need pictures, I can post some later tonight.

2. AllStockHatch

AllStockHatch Unregistered User Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Nice write up! Pics would do justice here, you know people are going to ask for them.

3. dbramaged

will do.

4. moebiius

moebiius New Member 5+ Year Member

there isn't a way to to the e brake handle without cutting it? there's gotta be a way...when you cracked it open with the dremel...how was it held together from the inside? compression? glue? please give me and the people here some insight on that.......thanks OP

5. dbramaged

Unfortunately, I have already thrown it away.... But when I originally looked, it appeared almost like there was plastic tension clips in place holding it. But based on where they were and the the actually e-brake level, it just didn't make any sense... Sorry. I just didn't look at it very much as once I decided I was going to cut it off, I wasn't planning on figuring it out... ;)

6. Genuine Rolla

Genuine Rolla Its PETEY PETE, y0! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Pics definitely would be awesome.

Moved to the How-To Section

7. dbramaged

I can't edit the original post now..........

8. EG6 LIFE

EG6 LIFE New Member Registered VIP

hey that hepls alot man thanx

9. EG6 LIFE

EG6 LIFE New Member Registered VIP

helps^^*

10. dbramaged

Version 2: With PIctures!

Depending on the year of your car, it may vary, but it's pretty simple. (Instructions based off 6th Gen)
    This method will not allow use of factory e-brake handle, must have aftermarket e-brake handle.

Shift Boot
    1. Remove Shift knob
    [​IMG]

2. Remove the center console, rear section and front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 2 screws are holding shift boot in place, remove those and the bracket and boot pulls right out
    [​IMG]

4. remove shift boot from bracket, !!! BE CAREFUL !!! although it's a light metal it will easily cut you if your grip slips as I cut one of my fingers to the bone!!!
    5. Grab the new shift boot, wrap around bracket and make slits to match - I circled the two tabs that I did not use, it works just fine without.
    [​IMG]

6. replace bracket and shift boot back in console

E-Brake Handle & Boot - (I already tossed my e-brake handle and wasn't able to re-inact this process)
    7. E-BRAKE! This is fun! - Remove the handle any way you feel comfortable - I cut my e-brake handle off with a dremel & cutting wheel
    8. remove rubber boot.
    9. Install new boot and slide down the e-brake as far as you can to make room for your new AFTERMARKET handle
    10. install new e-brake handle as far onto the lever as possible to make sure the button will engage fully
    11. Pull E-Brake boot over base of handle (Most aftermarket handles have a lip to fit the boot over - I had to use a flat head and work it around for a tight fit

Center Console Armrest Cover
    12. There are 2 philips screws holding the cover in place - remove them and the lid comes right off
    [​IMG]

13. There are 3-4 more screws on the under side of the cover holding the plastic in place - remove screws and the plastic inside will pull from the lid
    [​IMG]

14. Either you can remove the OEM fabric or leave it on, I left mine on. Wrap the lip with the new cover - pulling the excess material into the under side of the lid - Try to remove all wrinkles near the edges
    15. replace plastic inside to the lid by loosely installing the removed screws to allow for some adjustments. The plastic piece will pull the remaining excess material once you tighten the screws complete.
    16. Use a flat head or butter knife carefully to flatten any wrinkles and wedge under the lid
    17. re-install lid to console and put back into car
    18. Install front section of Console and replace shift knob.

You're done! - Enjoy the new interior pieces... If you need pictures, I can post some later tonight.

11. PokenSomeSmot

PokenSomeSmot New Member

where did you get that material from???

12. jdmem205

jdmem205 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Great diy I used it to fix my new shift boot correctly and will use it when I get the new fabric for the armrest