How To: Install shift boot, e-brake boot and lid cover

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
After posting pictures of my interior, people have been asking how to do this, so here it is:

Depending on the year of your car, it may vary, but it's pretty simple. (Instructions based off 6th Gen)
This method will not allow use of factory e-brake handle, must have aftermarket e-brake handle.

Shift Boot
1. Remove Shift knob
2. Remove the center console, rear section and front.
3. 2 screws are holding shift boot in place, remove those and the bracket and boot pulls right out
4. remove shift boot from bracket, !!! BE CAREFUL !!! although it's a light metal it will easily cut you if your grip slips as I cut one of my fingers to the bone!!!
5. Grab the new shift boot, wrap around bracket and make slits to match
6. replace bracket and shift boot back in console

E-Brake Handle & Boot
7. E-BRAKE! This is fun! - Remove the handle any way you feel comfortable - I cut my e-brake handle off with a dremel & cutting wheel
8. remove rubber boot.
9. Install new boot and slide down the e-brake as far as you can to make room for your new AFTERMARKET handle
10. install new e-brake handle as far onto the lever as possible to make sure the button will engage fully
11. Pull E-Brake boot over base of handle (Most aftermarket handles have a lip to fit the boot over - I had to use a flat head and work it around for a tight fit

Center Console Armrest Cover
12. There are 2 philips screws holding the cover in place - remove them and the lid comes right off
13. There are 3-4 more screws on the under side of the cover holding the plastic in place - remove screws and the plastic inside will pull from the lid
14. Either you can remove the OEM fabric or leave it on, I left mine on. Wrap the lip with the new cover - pulling the excess material into the under side of the lid - Try to remove all wrinkles near the edges
15. replace plastic inside to the lid by loosely installing the removed screws to allow for some adjustments. The plastic piece will pull the remaining excess material once you tighten the screws complete.
16. Use a flat head or butter knife carefully to flatten any wrinkles and wedge under the lid
17. re-install lid to console and put back into car
18. Install front section of Console and replace shift knob.

You're done! - Enjoy the new interior pieces... If you need pictures, I can post some later tonight.

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice write up! Pics would do justice here, you know people are going to ask for them.

moebiius

5+ Year Member
there isn't a way to to the e brake handle without cutting it? there's gotta be a way...when you cracked it open with the dremel...how was it held together from the inside? compression? glue? please give me and the people here some insight on that.......thanks OP

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there isn't a way to to the e brake handle without cutting it? there's gotta be a way...when you cracked it open with the dremel...how was it held together from the inside? compression? glue? please give me and the people here some insight on that.......thanks OP
Unfortunately, I have already thrown it away.... But when I originally looked, it appeared almost like there was plastic tension clips in place holding it. But based on where they were and the the actually e-brake level, it just didn't make any sense... Sorry. I just didn't look at it very much as once I decided I was going to cut it off, I wasn't planning on figuring it out... ;)

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pics definitely would be awesome.

Moved to the How-To Section

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Version 2: With PIctures!

Depending on the year of your car, it may vary, but it's pretty simple. (Instructions based off 6th Gen)
This method will not allow use of factory e-brake handle, must have aftermarket e-brake handle.

Shift Boot
1. Remove Shift knob

2. Remove the center console, rear section and front.

3. 2 screws are holding shift boot in place, remove those and the bracket and boot pulls right out

4. remove shift boot from bracket, !!! BE CAREFUL !!! although it's a light metal it will easily cut you if your grip slips as I cut one of my fingers to the bone!!!
5. Grab the new shift boot, wrap around bracket and make slits to match - I circled the two tabs that I did not use, it works just fine without.

6. replace bracket and shift boot back in console

E-Brake Handle & Boot - (I already tossed my e-brake handle and wasn't able to re-inact this process)
7. E-BRAKE! This is fun! - Remove the handle any way you feel comfortable - I cut my e-brake handle off with a dremel & cutting wheel
8. remove rubber boot.
9. Install new boot and slide down the e-brake as far as you can to make room for your new AFTERMARKET handle
10. install new e-brake handle as far onto the lever as possible to make sure the button will engage fully
11. Pull E-Brake boot over base of handle (Most aftermarket handles have a lip to fit the boot over - I had to use a flat head and work it around for a tight fit

Center Console Armrest Cover
12. There are 2 philips screws holding the cover in place - remove them and the lid comes right off

13. There are 3-4 more screws on the under side of the cover holding the plastic in place - remove screws and the plastic inside will pull from the lid

14. Either you can remove the OEM fabric or leave it on, I left mine on. Wrap the lip with the new cover - pulling the excess material into the under side of the lid - Try to remove all wrinkles near the edges
15. replace plastic inside to the lid by loosely installing the removed screws to allow for some adjustments. The plastic piece will pull the remaining excess material once you tighten the screws complete.
16. Use a flat head or butter knife carefully to flatten any wrinkles and wedge under the lid
17. re-install lid to console and put back into car
18. Install front section of Console and replace shift knob.

You're done! - Enjoy the new interior pieces... If you need pictures, I can post some later tonight.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great diy I used it to fix my new shift boot correctly and will use it when I get the new fabric for the armrest