How To: Interior Painting.

1SLOEG8

I piss on fender gap.
5+ Year Member
Interior painting

First off, you will need the following:

I did this on my 92 civic sedan.

1. Interior paint (Krylon fusion-- I HIGHLY recommend it. Found it at Walmart).
2. A shallow, wide plastic basin, maybe about 6-8" high.
3. A non abrasive-- I would simply use soap and mild warm water as the cleaning agent.
4. A nice, soft sponge.
5. Plenty of dry cleaning cloths, ones that will not produce dust particles.
6. Patience and a day with some time.

Step 1:

Go ahead and remove the interior pieces you want to remove. I removed the door panels, speaker panels in the door, vents, coin trays, the middle console, etc. Most are held in there by either some clips or usually philips head screws.

Step 2:

GO ahead and wash, your selected interior pieces with the mild soapy water. Youll want to make sure you get all the dried mud or other crap and as many marks as you can. I found that you dont have to worry about scratches because the paint will hide/blend it.

Step 3:

Put down some newspaper on your open garage floor, hang from clothes hangers in a paint booth, or even outside on a nice day where theres not too much dust and s**t outside. Go ahead now and start sweeping from one side to another of the piece you are painting. Do light coats, just to cover the piece and let it sit and set dry. I found that if you paint a second coat right after the first it has more of a tendancy to run. ALSO, IF YOU USE PRIMER FIRST, I FOUND YOU WONT GET THAT TEXTURED LOOK TO THE INTERIOR PIECES. :lol:

Step 4:

After that's dried, go ahead and do a second coat. Youll probably want to do about 3 or 4 coats in the end. I did a little more than this I think, just to be safe.

Step 5:

Obviously, let everything dry real nice and tight before you re-install it...I learned this the hard way, when I installed some speaker grilles in my EF hatch once and left some nice finger prints all over the edges :(

Step 6:

Your done! Now go grab yourself a corona and sit back and admire =)

dj_audio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any pictures of the finished product in your car?

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you didnt do any sanding or any kind of prep besides cleaning?

joker5854

5+ Year Member
Have you had any problem with it changing colors. I painted mine and they started to turn yellow around the door handles. Should I use a clear coat?

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I read on 7thgencivic about vinyl dye. Supposedly it dyes the interior pieces so that even if you scratch them it wont show the original color and then there is always rit dye to do your fabrics. I dont know if anyone here has done it or not but it sounds cool.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yuck, this thread should be titled How To: Ruin your interior

086head

Registered VIP
Oh sh*t i didnt even notice that this was from 2006. My apologys. Face palm