How To: JDM EG6 City Lights Installation

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY: JDM EG6 City Lights. Picture walkthrough.

I am dumb, and suck when it comes to electronics and wiring, but this was pretty easy

It was all stock USDM corner light + headlight wiring, I bought the JDM headlights + clear corners from Password:JDM with the wiring kit, took some pics, so yeah.

I know it's been done a million time, but I made my own just in case. So yeah... enjoy.

^^^ beforehand. I lost a corner on the interstate, it ripped out part of the headlight mounting bracket, so I was like "f**k it" and just ordered the whole new set up.

^^^ Word.

^^^ Yarrrrrr

^^^ Stock corner light connection. 3 wires. JDM has 2. Reason=

Red = power at all times. Receives power when you switch the lights to stage 1 and 2, thus why stock corners come on with first click, and stay on while headlights are one. JDM headlights, the corners only BLINK. They don't stay on, so the JDM cluster has the red wire go to CITY LIGHT and not corner.

Green = blinker. Gives power when you hit the turn signals, warning lights. JDM connection has this only to corner and to sidemarkers. They only BLINK, they dont stay on with lights.

Black = Ground.

----

When my corner light riped out, it took the part that holds bulbs with it... so I had 2 choices. Put in JDM one on driver side and just splice up the USDM one on passenger... or swap both.

I decided to just snip all the wires and wire everything new in place.

^^^ JDM connection (in hand, brown) next to the USDM one. 2 wires compared to 3. My corner lights CAME WITH the plastic part that holds bulb plugged into the back, and the male end of the connection with wires snipped... so I had everything I needed to put it into place.

^^^ JDM connections. Little different than USDM. You can't just plug the 2 together. The USDM 3 wire male connectin WILL NOT FIT into the JDM unit.

^^^ Got some tools out.

^^^ Cut the connection out, had to rearrange the wires. Kept the green/black on the corner light side, pull the red one through and move to behind the headlight.

^^^ I suck at sodering. Just twisted them together, and did this. Then wrapped each individually with a load of electrical tape, and then even more. LOL.

^^^ All 3 connections wired up. The JDM corner light connection has the green/black(ground) The city light is to the red, and the black runs through over to the same ground as the corner.

I don't know if this is technically 100% safe in electrical terms.. but yeah I suck so I did it.

^^^ Make sure you're not a dumbass and know what goes where. City light, headlight (this was same as USDM so I didn't touch) and the corner light.

^^^ Bolt those bitches up and make sure everything is in tight. I make sure there was no moisture in any of the lights before sealing them up. If you're super anal like me, mess with the headlight bolts and adjust to make sure both beams of headlights aim the same. I did this against inside of my garage door.

^^^ first click = city lights only, 2nd = Headlights. My corners work fine, but ONLY BLINK with turn signal. not on at all otherwise.

I like it. I have the sidemarkers too, and they are the same connection as the city lights, so I'm going to do them soon. I used the Password:JDM connections in the city lights, so I have the stock ones from the headlights that I can modify, add like 2 feet of wire and tap them into the corner lights.

So yeah I'll do that soon, but yeah :D

BIG NOTE... NOT TO EVERYONE BUT SOME

Not in the main context of this DIY, but possibly... I found out the JDM headlight housing is a little larger than the USDM one, and I could NOT fit the headlight into place because of my hood pins.

I ended up marking them off on top and bottom with marker, taking completely off and hacksawed the bottom off and remounted to give the extra clearance for headlights.

Yep.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did the same thing a while back on my sixth gen.... Just so everyone knows it may be illegal in some states.. I know it is in mine and you may not pass inspections

When you cut the red wire be sure to leave enough room so that you can go back if you want to to the original setup. i didnt cut mine with enought to spare when i wanted to convert it back so it was a soddering nightmare.

Good write up btw

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks great bro. I've been contemplating getting the JDM clear corners for the last 6 months and I think you may have convinced me. :thumbup:

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
I did the same thing a while back on my sixth gen.... Just so everyone knows it may be illegal in some states.. I know it is in mine and you may not pass inspections

When you cut the red wire be sure to leave enough room so that you can go back if you want to to the original setup. i didnt cut mine with enought to spare when i wanted to convert it back so it was a soddering nightmare.

Good write up btw
Indeed. I don't know the laws everywhere, but it MIGHT be illegal to not running a corner light or something. I dunno. Doesn't bother me. I have functional lights at all 4 corners, so no one will really notice the difference.

------

Funny story. I was going to do the siemarkers tonight by taking stock 2 male plugs I had taken OUT of te JDM headlights, extending the wires like 2 feet, taping into corner light....

I ended up donating the connections to my friends 98 EX which we installed his FULL 99-00 painted SICK ASS front end on. he wanted the city lights and side markers plugged in all at once. LOL

so he said he would buy me a set of Password:JDM wiring harness again. WORD.

---------

I need to fix my fogs, (the relay is blown) so when I turn the first switch on, the city lights and fogs shine, and I can roll around in dusk/dawn with that. and be a ricer.

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
lookin good man...i like how you wired it up so the corners don't come on with the city lights. i think i'll do the same for my 97 when i get my CTR headlights. BTW, good job and great write-up:D