How to know if oil change done correctly?

SidCivic

5+ Year Member
Hi Civic Peeps!

My 2015 Honda Civic LX is going in for it's first oil change @ 5,000 miles. I'm searching for a good honest shop, and I am also going to bring my own oil. I want to be sure my oil change is done correctly.

1. What specific questions can I ask the shop to gauge how good of an oil change they might do? Eg - Asking if they change the crush washer with each change.

2. What part of the car, or parts used in the process, or anything else can I look for to determine if the oil change was done correctly?

3. If the maintenance minder in the car reads the same oil life % as before I had the oil change, how can I tell if it's simply because they forgot to reset the minder or if they never changed the oil at all?

Sorry if these are silly questions. First new Civic, and trying to be smart about it from the beginning. Thanks in advance for your opinion!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you want 100% honest answers about oil change done right, learn to change it yourself ;)

Bring your own oil filter that differs in color compared to the one you have on there now, or make a mark on the new one if you can't get a different color. If they change the filter, they've changed the oil for sure. As for the crush washer just ask them.. those are very cheap so I don't see why not.

And don't go to a Jiffy Lube.

Congratulations on breaking your cars oil cherry :lol:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a 2015, why is it not being done at the dealer?
This. To maintain the warranty, some brands are very specific on this to be done at a brand certified shop. I have customers that are adamant on doing their own, but won't while it is still under warranty to avoid any problems if a claim needs done. Manufacturers and extended warranty companies are itching to find any reason not to take care of a claim, why give them a reason just to save a few bucks?

SidCivic

5+ Year Member
Xplod3r & Lethal6 & everyone else: Thanks for your specific advice! After reading your comments, I think I will take it to the nearest dealer with a good reputation. This seems the best way to stay within the warranty, and have the car serviced appropriately.

This. To maintain the warranty, some brands are very specific on this to be done at a brand certified shop. I have customers that are adamant on doing their own, but won't while it is still under warranty to avoid any problems if a claim needs done. Manufacturers and extended warranty companies are itching to find any reason not to take care of a claim, why give them a reason just to save a few bucks?
Lethal6 - I'd like to bring my own Amsoil Sig Series OW-20 oil to the dealer (if they allow), and use the dealer's OEM Honda filter / crush washer. I agree that Honda will do anything to avoid paying a warranty claim. Do you think bringing my own oil would give Honda enough ground to fight against a future warranty claim? Is this a small enough risk that if I want to try Amsoil it's okay to take? Thanks for your opinion!

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Just use Honda oil. That shiz is gold. I thought every dealer is doing the oil changes for life thing these days.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why risk it? Just have them use their oil. It isn't like the dealer is Jiffy Lube and uses cheap junk oil.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Just use Honda oil. That shiz is gold. I thought every dealer is doing the oil changes for life thing these days.
Pretty sure Honda uses Conoco-Phillips Oil and that may just be whatever you buy behind the counter. As for their shops who knows what each dealer uses, they aren't all the same.

mixczar

Hi Civic Peeps!

My 2015 Honda Civic LX is going in for it's first oil change @ 5,000 miles. I'm searching for a good honest shop, and I am also going to bring my own oil. I want to be sure my oil change is done correctly.

1. What specific questions can I ask the shop to gauge how good of an oil change they might do? Eg - Asking if they change the crush washer with each change.

2. What part of the car, or parts used in the process, or anything else can I look for to determine if the oil change was done correctly?

3. If the maintenance minder in the car reads the same oil life % as before I had the oil change, how can I tell if it's simply because they forgot to reset the minder or if they never changed the oil at all?

Sorry if these are silly questions. First new Civic, and trying to be smart about it from the beginning. Thanks in advance for your opinion!
the key is to check for leaks.
I do my own and use a measuring cup for accuracy (5.7 L on my Mazdaspeed 6)
just take your time

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pretty sure Honda uses Conoco-Phillips Oil and that may just be whatever you buy behind the counter. As for their shops who knows what each dealer uses, they aren't all the same.
The Honda dealer I work at uses mobil1

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Conoco-Phillips makes/bottles oil for a lot of people, different blends for different regions etc. There is probably 5 or more blends of Mobil1 synthetic that exist. I know Subaru engines don't like it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SidCivic

5+ Year Member
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Sorry for the late replies - in the middle of moving! Based on everyone's responses - I got the oil change done at the Honda dealership and used genuine OW-20 honda full synthetic oil (which I bought separately from another Honda dealer b/c they were cheaper than the Honda dealer I did the oil change with).

Question
1. The mechanic needed 4.5 quarts of oil to do the change. The manual states it should only require 3.9 quarts if changing oil + filter. Should I be concerned that the mechanic needed another 1/2 quart to do the oil change? Did the mechanic make a mistake, leak too much oil when doing the change, or is something else going on? I asked them about and they said that most oil changes require 4.5 quarts even though the manual says 3.9.

Thanks for your opinions!

dancam

Registered VIP
They probably put the right anount in and just charged you and everyone else for 4.5 regardless of how much it actually took. Unless it were to take more of course =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ps1man5189

5+ Year Member
It's 4 quarts. I have a 14 lx coupe. I only use Castrol edge gold bottle and bp gas generally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk