How To: Make Custom Gauge Holder and Fuel Cut off Switch.

braintree

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How to make custom gauge holder and fuel cut off switch

Part 1

So last week, I was able to get a set of autometer boost and a/f gauges.

Since it was a nice weekend, I decided to make a gauge holder for them. With the gauges in hand, I chose to throw them in the compartment near the cup holders. So I took out the cup holders and went on a quest for ABS plastic.

After hours of searching south chicagoland for plastic, I found none. Everyshop I talked to had to order it. So sad and beaten, I stop by my dad’s shop and then it had shown itself. In the back was a discarded chevy cavalier front-end. I looked around and found the fender moldings. So bare-handed, I ripped them out and cut them to shape. Then I riveted them to the cup-holders and the DIY was near completion.

Once the molding was in place, I cut somes holes in them, put the gauges in and threw the bad-boy back in the car.

All in all, $2 for extra wires + $2 for connectors + $0 for cavalier molding =

Part 2

Well, being the loser that I am with mucho free time; my weekend was not done yet. So I decided to make a fuel-cutoff switch. With that in mind, I headed back to Radio shack and picked up a rocker switch.

Then I found my fuel pump power wire

and made a slice. With some male and female connectors, I attached it to some wires and ran it to my hidden switch.

So for that DIY, $4 for the rocker switch + $2 for wires + $1.50 for male/female connectors = a $7.50 security system that rivals many high-tech ones. With the hidden switch in the off position, no power to the fuel pump = no fuel to the engine = no moving for the car.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya i just finished mine. i tryed crankin it with the fuel switch off and i blew a fuse. it works a lil 2 good i guess

EG-Owns you

Twin Tech Owns Your s**t!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
doesnt look half bad good job :lol:

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like it. Think it looks really good. Good work!!

98or00gsr

5+ Year Member
xxsenceo89x said:
ya i just finished mine. i tryed crankin it with the fuel switch off and i blew a fuse. it works a lil 2 good i guess
what fuse did u blow ??

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice, only thing i'd do different is to maybe paint the back plate for the gauges to make it blacker ;)

Luscious Luke

5+ Year Member
Mine is similar to yours too, I just used carbon fiber and added two more "gay-jiz." Just gotta cut the holes out now.

slamDunk

if you fly, im flew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks for the post i think im put a cut off switch in mine

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so where is the wire for the fuel pump to be found..?

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xxsenceo89x said:
at least your fuse didnt go out in the middle of a busy intersection .. :thumbdown: to sloppy wiring.

I learned how much fun pushing a car is

f_suasin

5+ Year Member
can you give us some more details on the fuel cut-off switch. Like where to find the fuel pump (i know its under the backseats). But like which specific wire to split and how to connect female/male connectors and which wires to attach it too.

chow

Its hard to convert KMH
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xxsenceo89x said:
BlackHope121 said:
at least your fuse didnt go out in the middle of a busy intersection .. :thumbdown: to sloppy wiring.

I learned how much fun pushing a car is
where is this fuse you blew?

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow guys...you do know this is from 03,rigth?

qwertyuiop

Rockin' Out the Sedans!
Sorry for old post but how many pins of connectors should I Buy? or could I Just splice ant tap the power wire?