How to milk as much power out of a D16

Dylan Coulter

I thought i was gonna be able to get a b16 engine for cheap from a friend, but that is no longer the case. Looks like im just going to have to put in a d16y8 and hope for the best. I understand that this isnt the fastest engine in the world, so how to i get peak power out of this thing?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

jdm.josh

I agree with boost , but if you don't want to spend crazy money , but still have a fun little car , get an eBay turbo kit and bolt it on . Run 7 psi . Not enough to hurt stock engine , and at 7 psi , it doesn't matter what brand it is cause it's such low boost .

I'm planning on doing that to my d16y8 . Swap is just to expensive for me . Plus , single cams aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be . They can be fun cars when done right .

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pick an HP goal and go from there. Don't build it based on "psi". It has so much more to do with it than that. IE: one size turbo running 7 psi is way different than another. It also depends on the current state of the motor weather it can handle it or not. I have seen cars run high HP numbers and do fine and others run a low modest HP number and crap out. There is no magical number in reference to a stock motor being able to handle it or not. There are MANY factors.

Keep in mind that building doesn't mean s**t without a correct tune, ESPECIALLY when running a turbo. A competent tune is going to run you at least $500 depending where you are and if you get a deal through a local shop. Slapping a cheap ass ebay kit on and not running a tune is bad news. Hell putting on a legit kit and not running a tune is bad news. Moral of the story, don't run it without a tune.

Also keep in mind that most of the "ebay" kits are garbage for the big stuff. You get what you pay for definitely applies for those kits. Don't expect much, don't expect them to fit very well, and don't expect them to last worth a s**t. eBay doesn't make parts by the way. The cheap kits are chinese junk no name brand wholesalers that riddle eBay and other sites like them.

jdm.josh

Pick an HP goal and go from there. Don't build it based on "psi". It has so much more to do with it than that. IE: one size turbo running 7 psi is way different than another. It also depends on the current state of the motor weather it can handle it or not. I have seen cars run high HP numbers and do fine and others run a low modest HP number and crap out. There is no magical number in reference to a stock motor being able to handle it or not. There are MANY factors.

Keep in mind that building doesn't mean s**t without a correct tune, ESPECIALLY when running a turbo. A competent tune is going to run you at least $500 depending where you are and if you get a deal through a local shop. Slapping a cheap ass ebay kit on and not running a tune is bad news. Hell putting on a legit kit and not running a tune is bad news. Moral of the story, don't run it without a tune.

Also keep in mind that most of the "ebay" kits are garbage for the big stuff. You get what you pay for definitely applies for those kits. Don't expect much, don't expect them to fit very well, and don't expect them to last worth a s**t. eBay doesn't make parts by the way. The cheap kits are chinese junk no name brand wholesalers that riddle eBay and other sites like them.
Is there any way to run boost on a stock d16 without going bankrupt ?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotta pay to play. Especially if you want to do it right.

There are budget build lists out there just have to be smart about it. Research research research. People have been boosting d series motors and documenting it on the Internet for a LONG time. Learn from their mistakes. Google and the site search feature is your friend with something like this.

jdm.josh

Gotta pay to play. Especially if you want to do it right.

There are budget build lists out there just have to be smart about it. Research research research. People have been boosting d series motors and documenting it on the Internet for a LONG time. Learn from their mistakes. Google and the site search feature is your friend with something like this.
Thank you , you just talked me out of possibly ruining my perfectly good engine . Are any ebay part good , I've heard the headers aren't bad. But the turbo manifold , oh boy , an other story .

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
eBay doesn't make parts, there is no eBay brand. That being said, pretty much anything that doesn't have a real manufacturer, a known good manufacturer is a cheap knock off. If it says JDM in the ad, it's a dead giveaway that it's junk. Again, you get what you pay for. If you are finding one that is from some flashy seller, that gives no searchable name brand for $50, odds are its too good to be true. Look at the brand name, Google reviews for that name. There will be reviews. Especially the bad ones. A lot of the time, people don't really take the time out to post a review unless it is something that really pissed them off.

If you plan on boosting, don't waste your time on a header for NA, they aren't interchangeable.

jdm.josh

eBay doesn't make parts, there is no eBay brand. That being said, pretty much anything that doesn't have a real manufacturer, a known good manufacturer is a cheap knock off. If it says JDM in the ad, it's a dead giveaway that it's junk. Again, you get what you pay for. If you are finding one that is from some flashy seller, that gives no searchable name brand for $50, odds are its too good to be true. Look at the brand name, Google reviews for that name. There will be reviews. Especially the bad ones. A lot of the time, people don't really take the time out to post a review unless it is something that really pissed them off.

If you plan on boosting, don't waste your time on a header for NA, they aren't interchangeable.
Yeah , I understand . Boosting isn't an opinion for me anymore . I know I can't used the headers with a turbo ect . I just want a good set of headers to clean up my bay . What do you know about Megan racing headers ? Can't find any good reviews on them . They are actually affordable and a know brand .