1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

How To: Oil Change for Newbies.

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain DIY How-To's' started by joe7987, Jun 5, 2005.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. joe7987

joe7987 Moderator Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

How to change your oil

The newbie's guide to chaging your oil

The process is quite simple, even you can do it.

Things you'll need:
    • oil change pan
    • 3.5 quarts of oil
    • oil filter
    • 17mm socket wrench
    • funnel
    • rags

First step: Gather materials (pictured below)
    [​IMG]

Second step: Jack your car up on both sides if possible (pictured below)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Third step: Locate the oil drain plug underneath the car, plugged into the oil pan (pictured below)
    [​IMG]

Fourth step: Move your oil change pan under the drain plug, grab your 17mm socket wrench and get that baby out of there... let the oil drain into the pan and try not to get any on your clothes... (pictured below)
    [​IMG]

Fifth step: Get under the car and twist the old oil filter off with your hands. If you can't, they make a clamp that fits around the end and assists you in getting it off (pictured below)
    [​IMG]

Sixth step: Reinsert the drain plug after all the dirty oil has been drained and replace the old oil filter with the new one. Open your oil cap and get the funnel in there. Pour 3.5 quarts of fresh 5W30 oil in that sucker (pictured below)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seventh step: Put the cap back on the valve cover, run your motor, turn it off and let the oil settle, then check your oil via dipstick and insert oil accordingly (pictured below)
    [​IMG]

After all of this, take your car out for a spin and make sure everything is working properly.
    You're good to go 8)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2005
  2. 97ej6mike

97ej6mike New Member 5+ Year Member

DE DE DEE!
    lol

3. 99SilverCX

99SilverCX New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

FYI. Different motors use different amount of oil.
    I was told by a dumbass at Autozone that my B16 takes 3.5 Quarts, I did 3 oil changes before I found out out in a Hanes manual that B16A requires 4.2 Quarts. So basically I ran my engine 9k miles on .7 quarts short of oil.

4. neoc03

neoc03 I CRAVE CORNERS Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Nice valve cover paint job. Did you do that with a spray can or a gun. Either way looks really smooth.

5. EgHatch93

EgHatch93 EG Whore Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Ummm Penzoil is the WORST s**t evar :P haha. Castrol FTMFW... Good write up kinda pointless though =/.

6. zach246

zach246 2 gsr hatches Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

good write up. gutta start somewhere

7. daboyu978

daboyu978 Banned

thanks god for your write up i finally did my 87976456468468468 miles oil changes, thanks!

8. Dough

Dough New Member 5+ Year Member

Ep3po likes this.
  9. Raabe

Raabe Hell yea I suck toes! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

TIP: make sure to check that the OLD oil filter gasket isnt still attached to the block

Ep3po likes this.
  10. Kaotic_Zeus

Kaotic_Zeus Most hated man Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

this is fucking old man lol

i thought joe had a d17?

and any other oil filter but fram or penzoil filters honeywell is the same as those they're s**t, and penzoil is not that great but it works as long as you change it at the 3k interval. I would replace the drainplug gasket too, if you havent for a couple of changes. use your fingers and wipe some new/old on them to lubricate the new filter's gasket. check oil when the engines is cold

and man am i bored..but whatever...

11. msmattie1667

msmattie1667 New Member 5+ Year Member

12. littlej988

littlej988 New Member

step by step instructions...