How To: Radiator Fan Remote Switch Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Overheating Problems? Run cooler always!!

Here's a little trick i stumbled upon when my was overheating really bad. I live in frickin hot ass Las Vegas, so when your car starts to overheat...it's some serious s**t!
The cause for my overheating problem wasnt a bad t-stat or radiator, but my engine fan. It just wasnt coming on. My car overheated when i had my d16z6 and it overheated when i got my b16. So i knew it wasnt the 'stat and the radiator is fairly new, so there u have it. This little trick should work for any honda provided you make the proper adjustments as needed. Your car will run cooler guaranteed. And at around $10-$15 bucks, you cant beat that. Ok enough babble heres how you do it.

Start by locating the wiring harness that hooks up to your radiator. On my civic it was on the very bottom towards the passenger side. It has a green clip.

Cut the wires to the harness (making sure you leave a few inches) but dont take the clip off the fan. Strip the wires a quarter inch. Take some wire you have laying around and make jumper cables directly from the battery to find out which wire on the fan is positive and which is negative. The fan should turn on with the key in the ignition but car off (safety reasons). Splice together a new peace of wire (about 2.5 ft long) using butt connectors to the ground wire on the harness and the other end will be grounded to the chassis.

The positive side of the wire you will have to go through the firewall. So butt a peace of wire to that end(around 5ft long) and set aside for now.

Next you will have to make another wire for constant power. I spliced mine into the green vtec wire, but if you dont have vtec...you can use any other source of power that is activated with the car in the on position.

The wire that you spliced into the constant power will need to be around 4-5 ft long depending on what source you used.
The next step is to drill a hole about 1/4" into your firewall (i know i know, but you have to do it.) The best place to drill is right above the hole where your throttle cable is. Note: do not attempt to just use the throttle cable hole! It does not work!!! I tried it and the throttle position was fukt....all the time. It will idle at 4k rmp. just dont do it.
After your hole is drilled, feed the positive fan wire (from earlier) and the constant power wire. Make sure you use female speaker style connectors. (well it depends on the switch you bought).

You will have to decide where you want your switch to be. I placed mine by the shifter console. Anyways once you have decided, take your two wires and hook them up to your switch. Note: The positive wire from the fan is called "lead" and the constant is just "power". Once those two wires are hooked up, you will have to ground this switch to the chassis.Note: this explanation applies to the "light up" switches. You know the kind that have a little LED light in them. If the switch you purchase does not light up, the some of this info will not apply to you. Im sure you can also use toggle type switches.

The beauty of this mod is that you can either choose to have the fan on at all times (like i do here in vegas)
or turn it off at your will. It is a known fact that the cooler your engine is, the better your car runs. Anyways hope this helps. Pm me with questions.

dracing

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is a good idea. Will it mess up your fan in anyway or is it safe?

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fans are just a simple electric motor with some plastic blades attached. they are made to provide thousands of hours of service time. The fan in my car is the stock one, that would make it roughly 14 years old and it doesnt look like its gonna quick on me anytime soon. But if it ever does, they can be purchased fairly inexpensively at the junkyard. So to anwser your question...no it wont mess up your fan (if you do it right) and yes it is safe.

JohnQuix

green machine
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
interesting, would running the fan constantly cause any unusual wear and tear on it?

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nah, it really shouldnt. ive had this mod for some months now, and i havent noticed any negative side effects. Even if your fan did wear out sooner, your engine life will probably be longer. Running the fan constantly never gives your engine a chance to get hot. Besides, fans are pretty cheap to come by.

Atheist

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Something to note is that a honda has an ideal operating temp of aprox 160 degrees, you CAN go too cold.

wildest5

B16a1 CRX Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've also thought of this and the theory behind it also. Cooler engine better for engine. you can find the relay for your fan and cut both sides and then run leads to a switch in your car. this way when the car feels that the engine is to hot it can cool itself or when your at the track or racing you can have it on constantly without having to worry. Haven't done this yet but if you do you should have no problems at all. this way you probably wont be getting your engine to cold and might not turn off if you forget to hit the switch

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Atheist said:
Something to note is that a honda has an ideal operating temp of aprox 160 degrees, you CAN go too cold.
i guess it is possible to run your engine too cold, it really just depends on where you live. here in vegas...its already 90 degrees at like 8:00 in the morning during summer, but in the winter time...its like 30 degrees at 8:00 in the morning. thats the beauty of having the fan hooked up to a switch, you can choose to activate or not.
also keep in mind that vtec only kicks in when the engine is in the proper operating temp..160 degrees i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.