How To: Recover Rear Speaker Covers

New Vega

HondArmy
I did this to my 95 civic sedan today and figured i'd share how it's done. If you can remove the cover (which is 3 10mm nuts under the rear deck) then you can do this.

What you'll need:
-Fabric of your choice (Preferably something with some stretch to it.)
-10mm Socket
-Razor Blade &/or scissors
-General spray adhesive (3M is excellent)
-Glue remover (If your not careful and get it on the top surface)

Start by taking the covers out. It's 3 10mm nuts under the rear tray.

When you flip it over, you can see where it was glued from the factory. Mine is missing one of the mount pegs because i have 6x9's in the rear deck.

Just get a good hold of the material with your thumbnail and yank it off. (Thats what she said lol)

Cut your new material so it can be folded over the piece. I'm not too good at drawing templates & usually end up with it being too short so i use excessive overhang. it's easier to yank around too.

Get your spray adhesive ready. Shake for a good minute. When spraying leave at least 15 seconds to dry before adhering your fabric.

Lay the glue around the edge where the factory material was glued

Stretch the fabric over the cover and work out all the wrinkles. Prepare to get glue on your hands. Try not to glue your hand to your forehead lol.

Yours should look like this if done right.

Cut away the excess material with a razor or scissors till your happy with it.

Put the bitches back in, bolt 'em down and drool away! That's it! Easy as pie, right?
Easy as pie, right?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another happy Civic!

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nicely done man. and as always. gotta give some eh9 love.

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How do you think that would look red? Ricey? I have the DIY Red Door Panel Inserts and Arm Rest.

New Vega

HondArmy
i say just do it in red n post pics! Rice or not you can always change it.

whogottaferio

they do look nice. great job. where the hell do u guys find these cartoon pics of your cars? i wanna do one of my civic. i have a white one just like urs but no sunroof. infact,i cant even find where to post pics of my car at.WTH??? someone help. cant be on club civic with out showing ur stuff to the civic world! BTW,u have a good platform to start,now time for wheels and a slam treatment!

charlierickman

hi, i just wanted to ask if you had any updates on this. were you finally able to solve this? coz i'm thinking about doing this as well and decided to look around the forum. hope you can let me know, thanks.

charlierickman

also i am open for suggestions coz im thinking of starting this project soon and i'm in the market for parts and ideas. thanks.

New Vega

HondArmy
i just use myspace & facebook. Right click on the picture you want to share and hit "copy image url". Paste it in your post & your good to go!