How To Remove Intake Resonator

VTEC FaNTaSIeS

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Whassup.....I'm gonna take off the resonator for a civic ex 2000 ....how many bolts are there....how do i completely take it out....I've never heard of anybody doing this so i thot i would be the first
THANKS-

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Remove bumper
undo about 4 bolts
carefully pry it out!

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 bolts on 6th gen, damn. 1 bolt on the 5th gen and i just yanked the b***h out (well, my brother-in-law yanked it when i wasnt looking)

VTEC FaNTaSIeS

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so did it make any difference at all???

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have a how- to in the how to section that will show you everything you want to know, search for it.

phan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by VTEC FaNTaSIeS
so did it make any difference at all???
there aren't any real performance gains, but you get more of a throaty intake sound after it's removed. :thumbup:

VTEC FaNTaSIeS

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but if it's a resonator which slows down air which is passed to the intake then wouldn't you gt a little bit of a hp gain???

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're not going to hear much Vtec in a SOHC.

You are just going to get a little more throaty noise at open throttle.

I have an Injen SRI in my D16Y8 and I didn't notice much. Sounds good though

phan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by 96greencivic
You're not going to hear much Vtec in a SOHC.

You are just going to get a little more throaty noise at open throttle.
exactly.

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didn't have time to do a full CAI install in one sitting so I pulled the resonator box first, and installed the CAI a few days later.

Pulling the resonator box seemed to actually make me lose low end, and didn't do crap at the high end (except make the rumbling noise as I was throttling and not going anywhere).

My experience: don't pull the resonator box unless you're installing a full CAI.

It seems that the most restrictive part of the stock intake is the filter box. The resonator box isn't actually in the path of the air... the lower intake tube just opens up to it on the side, but the real air flow doesn't actually go into the resonator. I think this is why there really isn't that much restriction due to the resonator and lower tube.

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BTW, here's more description on removing it:

1) Remove bumper:

There are several plastic pin/clips along the top of the grill/bumper. Pry up the center with a screwdriver and the center pin will come out, relieving pressure on the outer ring of the plastic clip. Pull the ring out.

Unscrew 1 screw at each wheel well holding the bumper on.

Go under the bumper and unscrew 3 screws.

Pull bumper cover straight off.

2) Loosen splash guard

The plastic splash guard is held by 3 bolts. Only unscrew the one to the far right of the car (the intake side). The plastic is flexible enough.

3) Loosen wheel well guard

The plastic wheel well guard is also attached to the frame near where you took off the splash guard bolt. Unscrew this part. The guard is also very flexible.

4) Remove resonator

Remove 3 bolts: one at the side pointing out, one under the box, and one on the side pointing in just under the coolant resevoir.

Bend the splash and wheel guard back a little, and work the box out.