1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

How To Remove Intake Resonator

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by VTEC FaNTaSIeS, Nov 14, 2003.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. VTEC FaNTaSIeS

VTEC FaNTaSIeS New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Riverside, Ca...just moved to columbus, IN
    Whassup.....I'm gonna take off the resonator for a civic ex 2000 ....how many bolts are there....how do i completely take it out....I've never heard of anybody doing this so i thot i would be the first
    THANKS-

2. 96greencivic

96greencivic #1 in the Atlantic! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Remove bumper
    undo about 4 bolts
    carefully pry it out!

3. Bangin' HB

Bangin' HB surfing member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

4 bolts on 6th gen, damn. 1 bolt on the 5th gen and i just yanked the b***h out (well, my brother-in-law yanked it when i wasnt looking)

4. VTEC FaNTaSIeS

so did it make any difference at all???

5. Handlebars

Handlebars None Taken. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

i have a how- to in the how to section that will show you everything you want to know, search for it.

6. phan

phan New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

there aren't any real performance gains, but you get more of a throaty intake sound after it's removed. :thumbup:

7. VTEC FaNTaSIeS

but if it's a resonator which slows down air which is passed to the intake then wouldn't you gt a little bit of a hp gain???

8. VTEC FaNTaSIeS

And....do you think it would make the vtec any louder???

9. 96greencivic

96greencivic #1 in the Atlantic! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

You're not going to hear much Vtec in a SOHC.

You are just going to get a little more throaty noise at open throttle.

I have an Injen SRI in my D16Y8 and I didn't notice much. Sounds good though

10. phan

phan New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

exactly.

11. chimchim

chimchim iVTEC, do you? Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I didn't have time to do a full CAI install in one sitting so I pulled the resonator box first, and installed the CAI a few days later.

Pulling the resonator box seemed to actually make me lose low end, and didn't do crap at the high end (except make the rumbling noise as I was throttling and not going anywhere).

My experience: don't pull the resonator box unless you're installing a full CAI.

It seems that the most restrictive part of the stock intake is the filter box. The resonator box isn't actually in the path of the air... the lower intake tube just opens up to it on the side, but the real air flow doesn't actually go into the resonator. I think this is why there really isn't that much restriction due to the resonator and lower tube.

12. chimchim

chimchim iVTEC, do you? Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

BTW, here's more description on removing it:

1) Remove bumper:

There are several plastic pin/clips along the top of the grill/bumper. Pry up the center with a screwdriver and the center pin will come out, relieving pressure on the outer ring of the plastic clip. Pull the ring out.

Unscrew 1 screw at each wheel well holding the bumper on.

Go under the bumper and unscrew 3 screws.

Pull bumper cover straight off.

2) Loosen splash guard

The plastic splash guard is held by 3 bolts. Only unscrew the one to the far right of the car (the intake side). The plastic is flexible enough.

3) Loosen wheel well guard

The plastic wheel well guard is also attached to the frame near where you took off the splash guard bolt. Unscrew this part. The guard is also very flexible.

4) Remove resonator

Remove 3 bolts: one at the side pointing out, one under the box, and one on the side pointing in just under the coolant resevoir.

Bend the splash and wheel guard back a little, and work the box out.