How to remove rear H emblem??

mikehd09

5+ Year Member
i want to paint the rear emblem black but i was just wondeing how to remove ... should i just use a flat head?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Don't paint it black.

mikehd09

5+ Year Member
y not?? im gonna paint the car black too...

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Typically once you pope those off the retaining clips break and it wont be held on the same way. Get some double sided 3m tape to re-adhear it. Dont use a flat head that risks dinging your car unless your really careful and wrap it in masking tape. Also make sure to scuff the emblem and clean it with rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner before you paint it.

KStorms2009

5+ Year Member
ya dont paint it, take it off and leave it off as well as the "civic" and the "ex" or which ever model you have... it makes it look cleaner !

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ uhm, doesnt the H emblem have 2 pegs that hold it on? so removing it completely would leave 2 open holes in your trunk.

i'm pretty sure if you try to pry it off the pegs will break. you'll need to order a new OEM rear trunk badge, paint that, then reinstall it while making sure you remove the broken pegs from the mounting holes in the trunk lid

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i popped mine out just fine w/ a flathead, be careful not to scratch the paint. if you dont want to risk that, use either a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat the adhesive up and it should come right out. i had no problems with the pegs. my mistake is i didnt heat it when replacing it so its not on all the way.

when you paint it, be sure to sand it w/ very fine sand paper, do a few coats of your color of choice, waiting for it to be completely dry in between coats, then do a few coats of clear and let it sit for a while, i'd say atleast an hour, to make sure its completely dry as you may put fingerprints in the paint when putting it back on your car

hope this helps!

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do not use a screwdriver unless you want to rape your paint. Use a panel tool, if you don't have one, you probably shouldn't be removing things from your car.

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Pull on both sides evenly with your fingers. It will come off without breaking the damn tabs. If you do, oh well. You should use some double sided adhesive to reapply it anyway. Like said, scuff it up some with sandpaper and clean it good before painting it. Don't listen to everyone else, if it's what you want to do, then go for it. If you don't like how it looks in the end, you can always buy a new emblem. You may not want to leave it bare though, the empty holes are quite hideous.

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some dental floss or thin string is pretty useful when removing emblems and logos. Just wedge it between the emblem and the body panel and "floss" through the adhesive. If you absolutely must use a flathead, wrap the tip in some masking tape to reduce the chance of scratching your paint. Any residual adhesive can be taken off with some soap and water or GooGone if you have it. Be sure to wax the area where the emblem used to be afterwards.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ uhm, doesnt the H emblem have 2 pegs that hold it on? so removing it completely would leave 2 open holes in your trunk.

i'm pretty sure if you try to pry it off the pegs will break. you'll need to order a new OEM rear trunk badge, paint that, then reinstall it while making sure you remove the broken pegs from the mounting holes in the trunk lid
haha i was like wth who's this guy :P why the sn change

CrownMe

5+ Year Member
Personally i pulled mine off with my hands one day while it was raining. Other guys I know have pulled theirs off with a heat gun and a fishing line.. Just heat it up a bit to loosen the glue and use the fishing line to get it off