Status
Not open for further replies.

Cod Man

1.7 60'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How To: Remove Fog/Haze From Headlight

I've seen too many threads asking how to do this, so I thought I'ld write up a how to. I've already done this several times and I don't have pics, but if I do it agian I'll post pics but they aren't really needed.

Materials needed: 800, 1500, 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper (3000 is better but takes a little longer), water, rag, and anykind of rubbing compound/plastic polish that will cover up to 1500 grit. Most of this can be found at Wal-Mart or Auto Zone.

1. Take out your headlights. You'll end up with nasty scratch marks on your bumper no matter how carefull you are.

2. Get your water and sandpaper ready. I reccomend a good flow of water but just a glass or bowl will do.

3. Start sanding. Start with the 800 grit. You know how water runs off bugs on your windshield if you haven't got them off? Keep sanding untill it doesn't do that. When it starts to dry you can look at it kind of at an angle and it will look similar to that. Get all of the haze off with the 800 grit. Once all the haze is gone, dry the headlight and note how it looks. Now move up to the 1500 grit. Sand a while with that and dry it and note how it looks. It should look a lot clearer than it did with the 800. This is the most important part so make sure you sand it enough. Now move up to the 3000 grit. Sand with it for a long time. Once you are done with it and it dries it should look pretty clear already.
Sanding tips: Apply moderate pressure and keep the headlight wet and sand in a circular motion. If white soapy looking stuff starts to form, more water. Also it's good to add a little bit of soap to the water, just for a little more slipperyness. Keep the headlight and paper clean. If you hear any squeaking or feel anything between the paper and lens wash it off. If you leave it you will have some nasty scratches form. So... KEEP IT CLEAN.

4. Now to get rid of the scratches. If you have access to a buffer it makes this a lot easier. To start apply a lot of compound on the lens. Get some on your rag and go to rubbing. Rub it really good. You may have to repeat this step a few times and if it doesn't get all of the scratches out your compound isn't good enough. So go get the good stuff, or some good plastic polish. Let it sit for about 5 minutes before you wipe it off.

5. Put the headlights back on your car and you're finished.

If it's still a little hazy, you didn't sand good enough, so start over. lol

ET: 1-2 hours, according to how much endurance and tennis elbow you have hehe.

Any questions feel free to PM me or comment.

P.S. is there anyway I can get a mod to make this a sticky in the Exterior forum sticky thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.