How To: Safely Remove the tint from your backglass

94CivEX

5+ Year Member
Remove the tint from your backglass, SAFELY!

Sorry guys no pics, but simple steps to safely remove old tint from your backglass without having to worry about taking off your defroster lines with a razor blade.my dad told me this a long time ago, abd ever since then this has been my method(just did this again today) after seeing a few questions about this i wanted to spread the word to save some of you guys(and girls) alot of time and sweat.

tools needed:

ammonia(lemmon scent is best, but still very strong)
spray bottle
trash bags
towels
windex or some other sort of glass cleaner
paper towels

First make sure that you do this on a hot, sunny day for best results.

1) pull your car into direct sunlight, so that the sun is shining directly onto the backglass.

2) cover up your cars interior with towels or garbage bags(backseat, rear deck, whatever else you dont want to get ammonia on)

3)take 2 black garbage bags and tear from the "mouth" of the bag down the seams towards the bottom. just make sure that you can cover your backglass with these, double up if needed. fill the spray bottle up with full strength ammonia at this time also.

4) spray down your backglass good with a water hose.

5) take one of the garbage bags and cover the outside of your backglass up, using your hands smooth the bag down so that it sticks good.

6) now take the spray bottle of ammonia and soak down the inside of your backglass. i recommend using some sort of protection here, because this stuff is a bi0tch when you breath it in.

7) immediatly cover the inside of your backglass with the 2nd garbage bag.

8) wait about an hour and a half....*waits*

9) get back in your car, take the garbage bag off and peel the tint off. it should peel right off without a hitch, taking most, if not all of the glue with it(all of the glue is rare)

10) clean your window and admire :retard:

And thats it, you still have your defroster and you have saved yourself a s**t load of work and time. you can also use this method on side windows if you want.

depending on the weather you may have to spray it down with ammonia a 2nd time. but it usually isnt neccesary.

hope this helps some people!

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome how to! I dont have the problem anymore but I have before. Wish I would of had this then.

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
where were u 94CivEX when i lived in MS, and u evilEK98 when i lived in AL...i would of killed to hang with fellow club civic members when i was bored outta my mind....i live in LA now with no one cc members to kick it with ) =

94CivEX

5+ Year Member
-|[ tnk ]|- said:
where were u 94CivEX when i lived in MS, and u evilEK98 when i lived in AL...i would of killed to hang with fellow club civic members when i was bored outta my mind....i live in LA now with no one cc members to kick it with ) =
where at in MS did you live at?

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
biloxi...u 94civEX? as for evil ek, mobile man

94CivEX

5+ Year Member
I'm from Tupelo, i used to spend summers in biloxi years ago. how long has it been since you left?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got a ticket for my front windows so i might have to do this, i did my 4runners bubbling s**t with a razor and "tint off" and that s**t took forever

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
94CivEX said:
I'm from Tupelo, i used to spend summers in biloxi years ago. how long has it been since you left?
its been about a year...if i ever head to tupelo i'll give u a holla

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey! that's cool.

I think we are gonna try it on my friend's beater 90 Camry first before I do either of my cars though. Sort of a practice run.

Good advice on using some sort of protection against the fumes. Ammonia will kick your ass :D

GOOSE

JDM yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice i couldve used this about a long time ago..! lol

good DIY

-GOOSE

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks for the diy, my back tints are so bubbled, and it's so annoying. I'll try this out!

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm trying to take the tint off the windshield and side window off my hatchie. Has anyone tried Goo-Gone with it?