How turn off Check Engine Light?

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
Hey guys I just intalled an AEM Short Ram Intake on ym 2000 EJ8 (D16Y8) and before I began I took out the negative terminal on the batter and everything fit fine and when I finished, I connected the negative terminal again and started up the car. Everything works fine except for the annoying Check Engine Light in my dash.

I am going to disconnet both battery terminas tonight to let the ECU re-set over-night, but other than that, I don't know what could be the problem.

Any ideas?

RonJ

Banned
Pull the code. Is the IAT sensor connected?

And there is absolutely no need to disconnect the battery overnight to clear CEL codes. Just pull the 7.5A hood Back Up fuse for a few minutes.

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
Everything is connected as it should be. I will try the hood back up fuse in the morning... Where is it located, btw? I haven't had much experience with intake installation, but this is pretty staright forward.. just that the CEL light is a bit annoying.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Even if you do disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, you only need to leave it disconnected for 5-10 minutes tops.

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
Alright well I will try the fuse tomorrow morning. Im too lazy to go hook up the battery its too late. I hope the fuse will fix the problem. Thank you guys for the help!

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You don't really need to pull the fuse at this point, if you've already had the battery disconnected for a while it's already reset the ECU.

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
Everything works perfectly now. No CEL light =)

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it!

civic0918

Registered VIP
my car did the same thing. I took it to a honda shop and they said everything is fine.

teddyrussell

my check engine came on after refueling but im pretty damn sure that my gas cap was on and tight, havent beating on it since im still learning how to drive it, any ideas?

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
duder with the problem....find your service connector behind your ecu and link the two wires with another wire shaped like a u.

then find the code number, which will be the CEL blinking (long blink is equal to 10 and short blink is equal to 1) and post it on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxracer

Problem solved I guess for him, i'm wondering if he did the battery or fuse, either way it worked though.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
duder with the problem....find your service connector behind your ecu and link the two wires with another wire shaped like a u.

then find the code number, which will be the CEL blinking (long blink is equal to 10 and short blink is equal to 1) and post it on here.
Here is a better description of what he is talking about:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557

The alternative is to drive to an auto parts store and use one of their OBD II scanners.

Whichever method you decide on, let us know what code you pull.

Last edited by a moderator:

teddyrussell

it was nothing big, the plug above my throttle cable just came loose, prolly happened when i was pressure washing my engine bay yesterday