IAC Valve Cleaning(Car wont start)

Jon247

Hey guys, i have a 2000 honda civic EX coupe (manual) i decided to clean my IAC valve. I removed everything i had to remove and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner and then let it air dry for 20mins or so. I connected everything back to the way it was and made sure nothing was loose, so i go to turn my car on and the engine runs for like 1 or 2 seconds then shuts off.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you plug the IACV back up. If not the car can die.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's the only plug that you should have taken out. Idk what it could be. Try unplugging it and putting it back in. Maybe it went bad

Jon247

That's the only plug that you should have taken out. Idk what it could be. Try unplugging it and putting it back in. Maybe it went bad
Yeah it looks like im gonna have to make sure the hoses are on properly and stuff tomorrow since its too dark for me to work on it now.

Jon247

Finally got it fixed, seems somehow water got into the filter or the gasket and i just had to clear it out.

ZDub

Hey guys im new to the forum, but i have an iac valve question. working on a friends 1998 sedan automatic d16y7. I just want to make sure im taking off the right part to replace. Every pic ive seen is of a different intake set up and none of them match my friends. Can someone explain or show a pic of where the iac valve would be on this motor exactly? Much appreciated!!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have something to add to help the thread along bumping it is fine but if you have a question to ask and aren't here to help the original poster please start your own thread.

Welcome to the forum by the way.