Ideas for a 2001 Civic EX sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

laxdfns

5+ Year Member
Hi all, Im new here so forgive me if something similar has been posted, I just dont have time to look all over for the answers, esp at work. As the thread implies, Im the new owner of a 2001 Civic EX Sedan. Its automatic :( but for $6100 with only 70k miles I wasnt going to complain. Its all very much stock, and therein lies the problem. While I dont want this to become a ricer at all, I want to be able to do a few things to this car so I can wake up every morning and get excited to drive it. Presently this is what I had in mind to do; lower it (no more than 1.5") get new rims, eurotailights and maybe headlights (likely the first thing i can afford to do) and eventually upgrade the sound system, but for sure a new deck. Also eventually a new muffler b/c the one I have is a bit rusty and Im looking for something to give it a little more umph than a stock one without the fart-can stigma.

Ive looked into lowering and alot of forums recomended the Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Kit, but I also heard alot about changing your stock shocks to something else if you lower the car. However, I also have read that if your only lowering the car 1"-1.5" its really not necesarry to get anything besides the springs, just make sure the car is aligned. My question is what do I NEED to get in order to use this product so as not to mess up my car? Money is a small concern so I suppose the less I spend the better.

As far as the tailights, what do you all suggest? The common rate im seeing is around $100 or so, but I was wondering if there are others that are cheaper, I know my friend got them for around $60.

The wheels are another thing; I was looking at a few, particularly 15" OEM SI rims, but the specs say they fit '99-'00...is it exclusive to those models or could it fit mine and how could I tell?

The speakers/sound system very likely wont be a all-at-once thing, as Im sure it will run me over $2000 or close to. But if someone knows what I need for my car that can provide better quality sound than the stock system, Im all ears. Also, any nice deck ideas are appriciated.

Last but not least, the muffler. Although its not pressing, its still in the back of my mind so any ideas based on the above description would be appriciated.

I know Im asking alot here, but Im totally green to the car scene as this is my first car. So I leave it in your hands, please help! =)

laxdfns

5+ Year Member
I should also mention if anyone else has a 2001 civ ex, plz feel free to post picts and whatever mods you have done!

NIKE H34D

Slow and Loving It
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
eurotailights and maybe headlights (likely the first thing i can afford to do)
As for the tails i would suggest staying stock as all aftermarket tails for your generation are horrible.

Black housing headlights would look good though, What color car do you have?

Last but not least, the muffler. Although its not pressing, its still in the back of my mind so any ideas based on the above description would be appriciated.
Dont really understand why everyone thinks their cars NEED a new muffler. Getting any aftermarket muffler when your stock one isnt ruined is a sacrifice. You lose the low sound that everyone wishes the had. Louder isn't better. Apexi WS2 is a good sounding exhaust.

The wheels are another thing; I was looking at a few, particularly 15" OEM SI rims, but the specs say they fit '99-'00...is it exclusive to those models or could it fit mine and how could I tell?
They will fit. But i do suggest going 16" on your car considering your generation is like a truck compared to previous civics, but thats just my opinion.

Ive looked into lowering and alot of forums recomended the Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Kit, but I also heard alot about changing your stock shocks to something else if you lower the car. However, I also have read that if your only lowering the car 1"-1.5" its really not necesarry to get anything besides the springs
Lowering 1-1.5 inches will still eventually blow your shocks, I would suggest buying shocks/springs all at once to avoid tearing up your suspension twice instead of once.

Changing out suspension is a major PITA so do it right the first time.

laxdfns

5+ Year Member
As for the tails i would suggest staying stock as all aftermarket tails for your generation are horrible.

Black housing headlights would look good though, What color car do you have?

Dont really understand why everyone thinks their cars NEED a new muffler. Getting any aftermarket muffler when your stock one isnt ruined is a sacrifice. You lose the low sound that everyone wishes the had. Louder isn't better. Apexi WS2 is a good sounding exhaust.

They will fit. But i do suggest going 16" on your car considering your generation is like a truck compared to previous civics, but thats just my opinion.

Lowering 1-1.5 inches will still eventually blow your shocks, I would suggest buying shocks/springs all at once to avoid tearing up your suspension twice instead of once.

Changing out suspension is a major PITA so do it right the first time.
1.Its black
2.I dont think I NEED a new muffler, just saying when the current stock one goes naturally, I would like to replace it with something that just makes the car sound a little more agressive.
3.Ok, and this may be a retarded question, but if I go 16" rims do I need new tires too? Like I said, totally green, I apologize.
4.right, thats the general consensus most groups came to, so then any idea what shocks would go well with the springs package?

Thanks for your help!

NIKE H34D

Slow and Loving It
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1.Its black
2.I dont think I NEED a new muffler, just saying when the current stock one goes naturally, I would like to replace it with something that just makes the car sound a little more agressive.
3.Ok, and this may be a retarded question, but if I go 16" rims do I need new tires too? Like I said, totally green, I apologize.
4.right, thats the general consensus most groups came to, so then any idea what shocks would go well with the springs package?

Thanks for your help!

Get some pics up of your car and yes you will need new tires for the SI rims and for the 16" rims....... Im guessing your stock wheels arent 15's? ... 01 civics arent my cup of tea though hehe

laxdfns

5+ Year Member
Ill get some pics up tomorrow when I have the car in my possesion, bought it today, getting it tomorrow. The tires are?: 185/65/R15

And no matter if 2001's arent your cup of tea, your atleast providing insight which is more than i started with :P Any ideas on the sound system?

NIKE H34D

Slow and Loving It
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Those tires will fit the SI wheels than lol so yeah stick with them :P

As for sound system... You have a four door so basicly anything you put in will sound good lol.....

but what are you going for with the sound? Huge obnoxious bass? or just good sound quality?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have a 01 lx sedan just got it last month, traded my 99 coupe for it, i love this car, hope u enjoy yours as much i am mine, ill post some pics of mine , if u have any questions about how stuff comes off, goes on or whatever else lemme know man,

i just installed my rs grill, and new headlights this week, check out the thread link below of my build,im goin to take some pics this weekeend of the progress, might give you some ideas or somthing.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i suggest a tranny swap =)

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats on my list of things to do also heh

laxdfns

5+ Year Member
Nike- just overall good quality, f*** obnoxious bass, totally ruins the sound in my opinion...tho a good bass isnt a bad thing, and your saying the tires I presently have will fit the 15" SI rims? thanks!

R3dline-Thanks! certainly will probably ask your advice on a few things lol, like what im seeing so far. Ill post images of mine as is (stock) and idk, create a timeline of what I do?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sure man, just make this your thread, just post pics on it, and keep people updated, no need to make 50 differnt threads on the same car ya know? and no problem man send me a private message and i can give you my cell phone number if u have any questions about anything just hollar

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
and by the way, dont change your taillights, leave the factorys ones , no one wants to see stupid looking clear or black housing tail lights, they leak, and look faggy , but thats just my 2 cents

laxdfns

5+ Year Member
interesting...idk i may do it anyways, not outta spite, but my friend has a 99 civic ex coupe, and the eurolights look great..we'll see i suppose. Got any ideas for where i could get shocks that would support the drop id put in?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
hey milwaukee isn't very far from many of us.. you should go check-in in the great lakes forums. we all get along great and help each other out with s**t. install days ftw

laxdfns

5+ Year Member
bump on what shocks i should get with the springs?

PS the car is in my possession, picts coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.