Identify vtec

paul bleazard

I was once into Hondas and now I'm getting back into them and I have $1,500 to work with and I want a VTEC Civic and I don't know which ones are VTEC like the one I'm looking at is a 97 Civic LX do you guys know if that is VTEC or not any help would be appreciated because I don't want to buy a non VTEC and have to put a VTEC head on it and have to wire it all up and if you guys have any suggestions on what I should try to start off with I don't have a lot of money but I want it to be somewhat fast thanks for your help

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I changed your title because "need help" says nothing of your question, thus it actually deters assistance.

You're expecting far too much from others if you want to be told what has vtec or not. You can look up all the honda engine series' on wikipedia then make your own list, or simply look it up as you research cars for sale within your budget. I suggest you research what vtec is so you understand its realistic performance and economical capacity. At $1500 your options will be limited and high performance should not be expected.

daperez13

Respected
I was once into Hondas and now I'm getting back into them and I have $1,500 to work with and I want a VTEC Civic and I don't know which ones are VTEC like the one I'm looking at is a 97 Civic LX do you guys know if that is VTEC or not any help would be appreciated because I don't want to buy a non VTEC and have to put a VTEC head on it and have to wire it all up and if you guys have any suggestions on what I should try to start off with I don't have a lot of money but I want it to be somewhat fast thanks for your help
Like HeX said, try doing a little research, it takes just a couple of minutes to compile a basic list. You can then spend more time looking into the vehicles you narrow down and make a decision based on the pros and cons. If you have more of a technical question after that, by all means, ask away after you have exhausted some of your options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was once into Hondas and now I'm getting back into them
I want a VTEC Civic and I don't know which ones are VTEC
Not into them long enough to know which models had Vtec motors?

I'm looking at is a 97 Civic LX do you guys know if that is VTEC
If it has the d16y7 motor in it that came from the factory, it doesn't.

if you guys have any suggestions on what I should try to start off with
Google and research.

I don't have a lot of money but I want it to be somewhat fast thanks for your help
Fast is relative.
Worry about it not being a hacked up rot box that runs reliably well before you start dumping any of your limited funds into it.