Idle problem

softtouch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a Civic ESi '94. Idle is at 700 around, which should be normal. If I accelerate a little, the idle goes up to 1500, than down to maybe 300 and back to 1500 and stays there. That "going down" to 300 or below let the engine sometimes shut down. What can that be? Its like the engine dont get enough gas for a very short time. The needle is not moving or something. Everything is normal once after a second.

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
fuel filter may be??

softtouch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, fuel filter is clean and intact. Strange thing is, my local honda service shop said "thats normal, as long the needle goes back"... I am very much sure that this is not normal...

98xSLVRxEK

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have an intake in your car if it is a cheap one i had the same problem the rubber surround is letting dirt into your car and it is clogging the mass airflow sensor I had to take it to a mechanic to get it fixed hope that helps.

softtouch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its not the intake, not the gas filter, not the spark plugs, not the PCV... all checked already and all is fine.

I noticed that if the A/C is on, it is even more worse. Cant start accelerating normal. The rpm goes, for example, up to 1500, drop down to 200 (sometime even the engine shut down) and goes up to normal after that. If the aircon is off, it goes up to 1500, down to 900 and back to 1500... I have no idea what that can be. I even was at honda service center and they said, thats normal (maybe they are not normal!)...

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
electronic air control valve on the back of the intake manifold, if this goes bad it will cause a iratic idle such as you have described.

softtouch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anarchi: Thanks for the tip! I did never think about that! I will have that checked today.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Catalyc converter or muffler could be dirty/clogged
umm no, this would not cause the car to bounce the idle, but hey if you can prove me wrong go ahead.