Inner tie rod needs replacing - Is it safe to drive?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Went for an inspection sticker yesterday and was told my driver's side inner tie rod needed replacement.

My question is, till then is it safe to drive? And should I replace the outer one as well or no?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Depending on how much "play" there is in the tie rod or tie rod end is the question. Generally though when its bad enough you will feel it in the steering wheel. Depending on the state (you being Mass, I don't know the inspection laws up there). In some states those the limit of play is no more than an 1/8" in movement. This amount of movement can cause increased tire wear due to improper toe alignment and will cause the vehicle to pull or push in one direction or the other. This can lead to head on accidents or other collisions.

Note: TOE does not affect camber changes. However CAMBER changes will affect TOE.

Also when there is this excess play int he suspension components an alignment technician can't provide you with a reliable alignment as the front end has to be moved repeatedly during the alignment process. So when the front end is steering left and right and then recentered the machine will get a different reading every time asking for additional unnecessary corrections that has to be done by the tech.

So is it safe, depends on the amount of movement. If its only a small amount then its generally safe but you will cause accelerated wear to the tires.

Several years ago the manufacturers actually set the alignment to naturally fight the crown or grade of the road. As roads have a natural grade to aid in the removal of standing water. This would cause vehicles to veer to the left if you let go of the wheel. However this is not a common practice anymore as it was also determined to be liability and the government told the manufactures to cease this practice sometime in the last 80's early 90's. So this most likely doesn't apply to you, just some useless knowledge.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
It's probably ok to drive for quite a while, however sloppy tie rods can be unsafe and will cause alignment issues. Definitely replace the outer at the same time. I would recommend doing inner and outer on both sides at once then take it to have an alignment performed.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I don't notice anything in the steering. Wasn't even aware of it and I do lots of highway traveling.

Any brand recommendations? Some reason don't trust auto zone duralast with lifetime warranty

Several years ago the manufacturers actually set the alignment to naturally fight the crown or grade of the road. As roads have a natural grade to aid in the removal of standing water. This would cause vehicles to veer to the left if you let go of the wheel. However this is not a common practice anymore as it was also determined to be liability and the government told the manufactures to cease this practice sometime in the last 80's early 90's. So this most likely doesn't apply to you said:
Interesting I remember that left pull. Was that because the road would naturally pull the car to the right so it was intended to offset?

Last edited by a moderator:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If the road has a crown then the vehicle will follow the crown on or off the road. Basically prevented people from driving straight naturally.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah I don't notice anything in the steering. Wasn't even aware of it and I do lots of highway traveling.

Any brand recommendations? Some reason don't trust auto zone duralast with lifetime warranty
Moog is what I installed 6+ months ago. They seem to be fine. I purchased new inner boots/bellows from majestic with honda clips though. I also got a "special" tool from AutoZone to take off the inner rods. Made life a lot easier.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was wondering. Do you need special tools or locktite?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Here's what I got:
innertierodtool.PNG
It worked fine for breaking the inner rods loose. Just need some good long extensions for your 3/8" ratchet.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
There are NO special tools required. The base is larger (part that screws into the steering rack, you must remove the boot to see it) and it has two large slots that you can put are large wrench on to break it loose. Also it is right loosy, lefty tighty, as I remember.

Do not try to turn the long hexagonal shaft to break it loose. It will not break loose and all you will be doing is moving the TOE angle in or out.

Cool. Any locktite or?
Not required, just crank it down and you will be good to go. You can use blue loctite if you so desire.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
yea its extremely dangerous. happened to my friend he was racing another hatch he was only about half of 1/8 mile mark whne his broke completely cuseing the car to just yank to the right hard smashing intot he curb broke the rim and brake rotor completely this was about 4 yrs ago

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I went ahead and bought both inner and outer tie rods. The outer has a fitting for grease. Do these come pre-greased? As I don't have the pump gun or the grease for it

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
some are and some don't depends on the brand, if it came with the nipple and it has a hole where it screws into then those you have to grease then up. if it doesn't have any fittings or hole then its already pre-greased

Here's what I got:
View attachment 26891
It worked fine for breaking the inner rods loose. Just need some good long extensions for your 3/8" ratchet.
thats pretty useful for being able to change them on the side of the road with ease

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What I'm asking is if the ones with a fitting for grease come with grease inside from the factory. I know they need to be greased periodically that's not what I was wondering

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. What kind of grease should I use for the outer in the future? The new one has a grease fitting

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
OK if your outer rods have fittings then yes you probably should grease them before driving. Heavy duty lithium or synthetic grease should be fine.

I didn't see your earlier post. You will need a grease gun to fill those babies up.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
some are and some don't depends on the brand, if it came with the nipple and it has a hole where it screws into then those you have to grease then up. if it doesn't have any fittings or hole then its already pre-greased
INCORRECT, all of those parts come pregreased, with or without the fitting. It may not seem they are greased but they are. People are dumb so the manufacturer of the part has grease applied to them before packaging.

Most of the time the grease fitting is not already installed, this is due to fitment. They produce the same joint which fits dozens of other applications. Some of those applications require a 90 degree fitting due to not being able to get a grease gun on the fitting after installation. Also the fitting may be in the way during installation and would be damaged.

Thanks. What kind of grease should I use for the outer in the future? The new one has a grease fitting
Any heavy duty automotive grade grease will work. These grades of grease have compounds mixed in them to resist water so it doesn't break down as easily.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks I replaced them today. Got the toe adjustment as close as possible and will get it aligned soon.

I was wondering, what kind of steel is used for tie rods. Is it cast iron? I noticed they don't really rust