Install Used Engine-95 Civic LX with D15B7

pburchins

5+ Year Member
First, I am a complete noob when it comes to replacing an engine so a little patience and sympathy would be appreciated. =)

In July my Son's 1995 Civic LX burned the # 3 valve on it. The mechanic put a new head gasket, new exhaust valve,plugs, timing belt, intake and exhaust valves seals,distributor, rotor, coolant and oil. At the time he worked on all of this he showed me that that the cylinder wall was scratched. I asked he he could bore it and put new rings on it and he said no. It was his recommendation that I live with it and put a heavier weight oil in it to slow down the oil leak. He suggested 40w racing oil This whole repair cost $ 1,350. The work came with 90 day 4k miles warranty.

Sure enough.....the same valve burned again at the beginning of November. He looked at it and the cylinder wall looks worse. He is recommending putting another engine at this point to the tune of $ 1,800. I am not willing to dump another $ 1,800 after 1,300 for a 3,000 car. My son is going to be on Christmas break and we talked about doing an engine swap. The engine swap is not for more power or performance. This is a swap to get the car running again plain and simple. It is my understanding that there is a market for the used engines from Japan. We live in Atlanta and there is a company National Auto Distributors ( http://www.nadauto.com )and they quoted me a used long block engine for $ 500. This seem very reasonable. Especially since I don't have to pay shipping costs and such. If anyone has experience with them please let me know your experience.

Enough with background info........Here are my questions:

1. Is there a good manual or website with step by step instructions on how to do the swap ?
2. What challenges can I anticipate in doing the swap ?
3. What questions should I ask in purchasing the engine?
4. I am a little confused about the A/C. Will I have to remove the compressor and lose the freon ?

Thankfully, we have a nice garage with plenty of room to move around. We have the jacks, jack stands, compressor impact tools and sockets. I guess we will need to rent an engine hoist. Are we going to need any special tools ?

Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated !

Thanks,

95 EJ Coupe

1. Is there a good manual or website with step by step instructions on how to do the swap ?
2. What challenges can I anticipate in doing the swap ?
3. What questions should I ask in purchasing the engine?
4. I am a little confused about the A/C. Will I have to remove the compressor and lose the freon ?

Thankfully, we have a nice garage with plenty of room to move around. We have the jacks, jack stands, compressor impact tools and sockets. I guess we will need to rent an engine hoist. Are we going to need any special tools ?

Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated !
I just finished this same swap in my about a month or 2 ago. All and all its not too hard as long as you don't rush it. It's a straight forward swap. I will give you some advice and troubles that I ran into. Pulling the axles and the shift linkage are by far the worst things in this swap. Make sure you ask how it ran, oil burn, compression issues, etc. The basics of a good engine. As for the A/C, just pull the bolts holding it to the motor mount/engine and you'll be fine. No refridgent lost or anything. If you need any questions or help regarding this swap feel free to post or PM me.

Good luck and enjoy.

pburchins

5+ Year Member
The car has an automatic so I guess I will get to miss the fun with the shift linkage. I have pulled one of the axles in the past and you are correct it was not fun but at least we have some experience with it.

Thank you for the encouragement. The next time I am in Canada I will have to buy you a Tim Hortons!

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Organization is a huge factor here...remember where and what the bolts and parts come from. Again, don't rush and over look this.

I wish you best of luck in the swap.

scuzz

5+ Year Member
The first engine I swap on any car, I always get a box of big and small baggies and label everything I pull off, and bag the nuts and bolts, and label the bags.
It really helps.
Also, get some digital pics along the way so you know what it looks like before you take it apart.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The first engine I swap on any car, I always get a box of big and small baggies and label everything I pull off, and bag the nuts and bolts, and label the bags.
It really helps.
Also, get some digital pics along the way so you know what it looks like before you take it apart.
Muffin baking trays with magnets under neath it helps out a lot as well

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you just swapping in a replacement motor? like a d15 or d16? if so just follow the haynes manual everything should be the same if your getting an automatic engine. The worst part will be lining the torque converter up with the flex plate and getting the bolts in.

pburchins

5+ Year Member
Cheez....

I am going to look at motors this morning. Yes, it is my goal to get the same motor for an automatic. I did not realize that their was a difference between a manual and automatic motor. So, I am looking like a complete noob here. I read the Haynes manual a few times and have looked at the Helms Manual I downloaded from another site.

The one thing I am a little lost about is removing the transaxles. Do you remove them and then put the tires back on ? I keep seeing people on youtube remove them with the tires left on. I am not sure if they are putting the tires on or doing something different.

Off to go look at motors!

pburchins

5+ Year Member
Well I learned somethings at the Motor store. The Japanese motors come with carburetors and they will strip them off for you. The put a plate on one of the left over holes. From what I was told the Japanese engines are pulled after 5 years. The mileage on them vary based upon how far the car was driven in the 5 years. So, I don't know how many miles there are on the engine.

The one thing the salesperson brought up was whether I should change out the transmission at the same time. The transmission is another $ 200. The price seems reasonable but I am not sure how much more work it will be. My other question is how hard would it be to put a manual transmission instead of the automatic. I am concerned whether or not there would be a change in wiring and such. Any suggestions ?

95 EJ Coupe

Cheez....

I am going to look at motors this morning. Yes, it is my goal to get the same motor for an automatic. I did not realize that their was a difference between a manual and automatic motor. So, I am looking like a complete noob here. I read the Haynes manual a few times and have looked at the Helms Manual I downloaded from another site.

The one thing I am a little lost about is removing the transaxles. Do you remove them and then put the tires back on ? I keep seeing people on youtube remove them with the tires left on. I am not sure if they are putting the tires on or doing something different.

Off to go look at motors!
Depends if you are disconnecting the shock mount from the control arm. The way I did it I took the bolt out holding the shock to the control for more movement so I didn't have to play with the axles and have them in my way, but honestly doesn't make much difference. As for manual to auto conversion that you were talking about, just type it into Google or in at the search at the top and all the info you need is right there at your disposal.

pburchins

5+ Year Member
Tomorrow is Manifold day. The exhaust manifold looks pretty easy. The intake manifold looks a little confusing. The new engine does not have and a fuel injection on it just a carb. Any pointers on taking the intake manifold out ? Should I take the fuel injectors and the rail out as well or take the whole manifold out ?

Thanks for any advice !

pburchins

5+ Year Member
We installed the engine this weekend. The actual installation wasn't as bad as I anticipated. The new engine is in. I was shocked at how clean the oil was in the new used engine.

The engine is running, however, it is running a little rough. I have a feeling the timing is off or the computer is not acting right. There is a good amount of white smoke or steam coming out of the tail pipe. At first there was small amount of water. Once it warmed up there was quite of bit of steam.

1 The SRS light is flashing on the dashboard. How do I tell what the signal means or do I just need to clear it ?

2. The check engine light keeps coming on and off as well.

3. what is the order of the of firing for the spark plugs on the distributor ?

Also, I have never used a timing light. Is it worth buying and trying it ? or should I take it to the mechanic and let him hook it up to the machine ? I wonder how much they would charge for this.

Thanks for any help !