Installing aftermarket intake -- Do I need a tune? What to do with the IAT sensor?

johndoe

but im changing my stock intake to a cone with a aem pipe when i do that do i have to tune the car beacuse that is what i was told?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but im changing my stock intake to a cone with a aem pipe when i do that do i have to tune the car beacuse that is what i was told?
No you do not need a tune for an aftermarket intake.

You could reset the ecu if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johndoe

No you do not need a tune for an aftermarket intake.

You could reset the ecu if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

even if theres a plug going to the stuck one but there nno plug spot in the pipe for the go to go in cone filter?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol

no, you dont, just stick it on.......

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there is no plug? only a hose that runs from the intake to the valve cover. thats it. civics are basic

RonJ

Banned
Please create a thread title that tells members what this thread is about.

What car and engine do you have? Post a picture of the new intake and the loose plug. Is there a bung where the IAT sensor can be inserted?

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have to drill a hole for the plug and get a rubber grommet to hold it in place.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just as Ron stated, creating an accurate thread title will get you quicker and better responses. Please keep that in mind for the future.

Ron, you're getting too good at this.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you're referring to the air temp sensor. The tube didn't have one. It is AEM isn't it? Well yea you will have to drill one for the sensor.

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah I had an AEM V2 and the hole was drilled by the previous owner also.

johndoe

if i minis the pipe and just stick the cone filter on would that make a diffrence intsted of goin thru all that pipe stuff for the plug or does it all have to go on togather beacuse if i can hook up the cone to the old stock in take tube so that i dont have to deal with the plug and just take out the stock intake that could would to right or am i wrong if im wrong please let me know lol no hard feeling and for the record i got a got a 98 civic coupe but it came with a d15z1 v-tec e in it but bodys mint will have pic up on it soon it looks clean bought it manly the body beacuse im waiting on some money the im puting alot $$$$ in it trust me but just slooking to to make it run and sound nice for now but if i can do that insted of going thru all that ppipe s**t and just stick the new intake cone on the stock tube so i dont have to deal with the plug that be sweet but can i do that? if im wrong please let me know like i said no hard feelings looking for addvice lol?

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First off, please use paragraphs, capitalization and punctuation.
If I understood correctly, you want to know if you could remove the piping altogether and just put the filter onto the intake manifold/throttle body?
You can, my brother did that on his D17. It would give you a little more low end power, I mean just enough to feel it, not that much, but you would lose power on higher rpm. Not bad if all you do is drive in downtown/city a lot lol.
But you still need the plug because it measures temperature I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. Drill hole in intake.
2. Put rubber grommet in said hole.
3. Put sensor in new hole.
4. Smile.

First off, please use paragraphs, capitalization and punctuation.
If I understood correctly, you want to know if you could remove the piping altogether and just put the filter onto the intake manifold/throttle body?
You can, my brother did that on his D17. It would give you a little more low end power, I mean just enough to feel it, not that much, but you would lose power on higher rpm. Not bad if all you do is drive in downtown/city a lot lol.
But you still need the plug because it measures temperature I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.
This is a HORRIBLE idea. Can you say heat soak much?