Installing catback exhaust

obiling

HI, so I got my new exhaust today, but i cant acaully install it myself due to lack of a lift...... :( Any Ideas how i can get this bad boy on?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Jack up the car on one side and use jack stands to support it.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used jack stands on the rear sub-frame. Jacked up one side, put a stand on it. Jacked up the other, put a stand on it. The only place it was tight was at the cat. Also make sure you're on a level surface like a garage, to minimize the risk of the car coming off the stands. It's also a good idea to leave the jack up at one of the jack points.

But that's just how to get it in the air. I assume you know the rest.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Your only choice is to jack it up as high as possible on stands, and hope that the bolts come free easily (which they wont) because you may have to do some cutting.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your only choice is to jack it up as high as possible on stands, and hope that the bolts come free easily (which they wont) because you may have to do some cutting.
Not necessarily. I didn't have to cut any of mine on a 1995 civic with 177K miles. Just use a good bit of PB blaster or liquid wrench and let it sit on there for a little while and then go at it. I did all mine with hand tools. No air tools, impact, just ratchets and breaker bars.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Not necessarily. I didn't have to cut any of mine on a 1995 civic with 177K miles. Just use a good bit of PB blaster or liquid wrench and let it sit on there for a little while and then go at it. I did all mine with hand tools. No air tools, impact, just ratchets and breaker bars.
Well then your lucky. In Indiana I've never had an exhaust that comes off that easily.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well then your lucky. In Indiana I've never had an exhaust that comes off that easily.
Ahhh, that's it. I'm down south, we don't have a whole lot of problems with rust.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WD40 and a breaker bar :thumbs up

emerican

Registered VIP
If you are up north be prepared that you may have to do some cutting,
I did mine with jackstands, but all of mine came out easy no rust due to living in the south its whole life.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Basically I cringe everytime I find out I have to do an exhaust job. I should take some pics at work and post them here. Its like the bolts just fuse with the piping...its stupid

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
According to your other thread it seems like you got the wrong exhaust.. But I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 about:

WD40 and a breaker bar :thumbs up
Or PB Blaster
This. WD-40 is more of a "universal" solution. It's a lubricant. PB Blaster solely works to eat rust. If you don't have anything readily available to use, WD-40 MAY do the job. But if you need a more concentrated solution, use PB Blaster. Same goes with white lithium grease to lubricate door hinges. WD-40 is temporary. White lithium grease will do the job better since it's solely created for that purpose and that purpose only.