Internal debate on Engine

Locruid

If this shouldnt be posted, spank my hand and I'll consider it lesson learned....

I have a 98 EX Coupe (click sig). The Y8 was blown but rebuild able. I dropped my D15Beast7 into it for now (112whp untuned).If I get the 272 grind for my cam and a tune I could be sitting about 120whp+

I'm not sure what a "bolt on" Y8 runs at whp but I believe they sit about 108 stock???

My plans down the road are either Turbo the engine (in which case the d15 has connecting rod issues) or just drop a DOHC engine in it (haven't decided yet).

SO.....

Should I just stick with the Beast7 and get a cam regrind or drop the Y8 back into it? Opinions welcome

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Y8 is like 108 to the wheels 125 at the crank, what I have seen about the beast7 combo is it gets like 45mpg and has good power so I doubt your going to get better than that. I would just build the Y8 on the side and get it ready for turbo, a bolt on y8 will only net like 10 hp over stock with a tune which is not worth it

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Is there a combo for the Y8 to get 45mpg? Also, is the D15 best 7 a D15b7?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D15 beast7 is some Frankenstein build look it up. D16y5 get 40-45mpg stock in good condition, I think with the federal lean burn ecu it gets 50mpg

Locruid

Sorry for delays....

Yea the Beast7 is a D15b7 with an d16a6 cam from a 88-91 crx. Running with Z6 intake, header, ex trans, and Y7 cam gear, I am sitting 112whp tuned and getting 37-40 in 75% rural driving. So it's pretty decent. Not to mention I have a decent power curve throughout the entire band instead of waiting till 5500 for vtec :P

Anywho, I think my debate came to an end today. I got my hands on a running B18B with transmission for $100. yup not a typo.....$100. Gonna tear it apart and rebuild everything and change the cams. Meanwhile I'll get my axles and ecu.

I'll run my Beast7 for now. It's pretty fun even in the heavier EX.

Last edited: