Just put CTR cams in my 00 si need advise

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
he didnt have the ctr cams, i dont think. i only rode in the car and heard vtec once and it was back before i knew a thing about hondas (learned alot in the past year, long store short). i dont think it had ctr cams though, sounded like a weaker crossover compared to what my itr cams sounded like in my old ls/vtec swap (and i know ctr cams are similar to itr cams). sounded more like a pop then a boom like my itr cams (i guess lol) when it crossed over.
well that really doesnt help me very much.... did your itr cams give your ls vtec a stock idle or did it have a little baby size chugging resemblence to say big block chevy with big cams?

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine idled fine. just idled high (usually around 1000 to 1500 or so). only other difference i noticed was the valvetrain was slightly louder with those cams but thats about it. it shouldnt lobe out like yours is doing, whats your idle set at? check your ignition timing and make suer you have sufficient fuel pressure.

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my B16 with the CTR's in it had more of a lope at idle ...nothing extravagent....but definetly a difference

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you seriously think you can do a major mod like that and not have to tune the car right away?

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
Did you seriously think you can do a major mod like that and not have to tune the car right away?
well ive been doing research for cams for months. everyone has said to get the BEST performance to tune OBVIOUSLY, but the computer will compensate.

K so ive gone over the basics once again....

heres some crappy pics from my phone....

k so this is top dead center as you can see the extension sticking out of the cyl. the arrows are up and the dtc marks are off

heres where the dtc marks are lined up and the arrows are off to the left (front of engine) toward front of car.

what do you think? im pretty sure its right.

can the engine run really bad if the timing belt is to tight?

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well it looks like you were off a tooth before. that will make a car run like dump. see how it runs now, should all be good :thumbs up:

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
well it looks like you were off a tooth before. that will make a car run like dump. see how it runs now, should all be good :thumbs up:
i didnt touch anything... all i did was rotate the crank... i was mearly just showing what the cam gears looked like with the arrows up and parallel with the engine and where the dtc marks meet and where the arrows line up with the engine... if you look the arrows are slightly to the left of the picture toward the front of the car

is this right? or do i need the arrows slightly angled to the intake manifold (rear of the engine)

Steven Moorman

5+ Year Member
I know how you feel- i've recently had buddyclub spec 3 (similar to ITR) cams + AEM cam gears added to my b16a along with the intake, 4-1header, race Cat and s/s system and have the same problems.

I have taken off and cleaned the whole intake manifold, throttle body, IACV, PCV and adjusted the idle which has helped with the poor idle issue, however i too still feel a slight drop off between 5.5 and 6.5 and then everything goes like you'd expect.

i, as you, thought that as long as the timing was right it would be fine until i got a tune to get the best out of my setup, but i asked buddyclub if it should be so poor and they like many other here said get it tuned so, which route you go is up to you but tune is the answer it seems. I am due to get the cams fully degreed in (like other companies such as skunk2 recommend) to ensure all timing is correct as just doing it off the belt markers isn't the best way and then tune it up.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i didnt touch anything... all i did was rotate the crank... i was mearly just showing what the cam gears looked like with the arrows up and parallel with the engine and where the dtc marks meet and where the arrows line up with the engine... if you look the arrows are slightly to the left of the picture toward the front of the car

is this right? or do i need the arrows slightly angled to the intake manifold (rear of the engine)
the tdc marks should be facing eachother exactly, from your first picture it looks like you had it setup with one of the cam gears 1 tooth off. this will make the car run like complete garbage. trust me i know all about cam gears being off :lol: my old b series killed its self by skipping the intake cam 90 degrees of timing at 5000rpm and dropping a valve and spinning a main bearing :lol:

retime the motor and you should be set :thumbs up:

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
the tdc marks should be facing eachother exactly, from your first picture it looks like you had it setup with one of the cam gears 1 tooth off. this will make the car run like complete garbage. trust me i know all about cam gears being off :lol: my old b series killed its self by skipping the intake cam 90 degrees of timing at 5000rpm and dropping a valve and spinning a main bearing :lol:

retime the motor and you should be set :thumbs up:
K your not listening i DID NOT RETIME THE ENGINE!!!!!! i just rotated the crank to show where the arrows are facing with the DTC marks lined up!

AGAIN I DID NOT CHANGE MY TIMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:x

THE UP ARROWS R TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE WITH THE DTC MARKS LINED UP

IS THIS RIGHT:???????????????????????????????????????????

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes it should be lined up like in the second picture, not like in the first picture where it is 1 tooth off.

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
yes it should be lined up like in the second picture, not like in the first picture where it is 1 tooth off.
again i did not move anthing i just rotated the crankshaft the timing is set the same from the first picture and the second.

am i not making my self clear here or something?