Just slammed my car.. Exhaust muffler scrapes...should I raise my rear side?

00civicforlife

I just installed FF1 coilovers and my rear wheels are tucking at least 1 inch under the fenders. I don't really scrape on speed bumps but I do when exiting parking lots (driveways). I go slow and at an angle but i still hear the scrape noise. My exhaust is about 3.5 inches from the ground, should I raise it or will I be okay scraping now and then. My catback is N1 style so the muffler is like a large cylinder

Attachments

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Raise the car up to a reasonable driving height, and get a better muffler.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That inch or 2 of muffler below the pipe is your problem. Thats one of the issues when using a cheap fart-can muffler. You got what you paid for. Your only two options are to either raise up your suspension or buy a quality muffler. If cost is the issue, buy a used muffler off a sportier 4-banger and have it welded on to your current piping.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't think the muffler is the problem, even with a good quality oval vibrant or similar the tip will be smaller than the can it's self. I think you will have to chop off the muffler and tuck it up higher in the bumper then cut the tip off and run pipe back down to the bumper exit hole, or just raise it up because it looks way to low. My ff type 2 are all the way down and I don't tuck rim only tire, I doubt that type 1 go lower unless you messed with spring preload which you shouldn't do.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think the muffler is the problem, even with a good quality oval vibrant or similar the tip will be smaller than the can it's self.
If Im not mistaken, the better quality oval mufflers either bubble out sideways or upward where there is usually extra space, unlike this one.
I think you will have to chop off the muffler and tuck it up higher in the bumper then cut the tip off and run pipe back down to the bumper exit hole, or just raise it up because it looks way to low. My ff type 2 are all the way down and I don't tuck rim only tire, I doubt that type 1 go lower unless you messed with spring preload which you shouldn't do.
That sounds way too complicated and the added cost isn't just worth it over getting another muffler if raising it isn't an option he wants. Call it a loss and a lesson learned.