keep the catalytic or remove?

ervstr

boosted_ek
5+ Year Member
i have a small turbo t3/t4 on a sohc d16y8,preety much everything is stock right now.and i got my tip apex n1 now im about to do my exaust piping this weekend,think of 2 1/2 inch.im preety sure im going to remove the resinator and just straight pipe.
but should ialso remove the cat?looking for better performace what would perform better?with the catalytic or remove it and straight pipe all the way to a n1 tip?

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd get a vibrant resinator and no cat. So just downpipe - resinator - muffler. If you don't have a resinator it's gonna be all ricey loud sounding. Unless you're into that ricey stuff.

ervstr

boosted_ek
5+ Year Member
i just want the best preformance,i was thinking the resinator and the cat is holding back air,im getting some turbo lag and im thinking its exaust back preassure

eg6white305

I used to have a greddy 15g turbo kit on a stock d16z6 and when i replaced the cat with a test pipe i lost alot of low end and didnt feel any gain in top end. The car ra better with the cat, but maybe that was just me.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what trim is your turbo?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont run a cat, tune the car again with the new exhaust set up and youll see gains. The turbo acts as a muffler, so it wont be that loud.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you don't have a resinator it's gonna be all ricey loud sounding. Unless you're into that ricey stuff.
this is incorrect. The turbo acts as a muffler, it will not sound ricey.

ervstr

boosted_ek
5+ Year Member
yeah ive been hearing that its better if you strraight pipe it from the down pipe to the tip for turbo cars.but on n/a cars that i rode in straight pipe made it run wack..so i was just wondering if itll do any better on a boosted car..

straight pipe 2.5 inches from the down pipe to a n1 tip sounds good????

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just keep the cat, it'll add 1-2 hp the most..wont hurt or benefit..im running stock gsr piping and im boosting 14 psi max

ervstr

boosted_ek
5+ Year Member
okay most of you is saying to keep the cat.so im gonna..
what about the resinator can that be removed?or also keep that?

ervstr

boosted_ek
5+ Year Member
just got it done,2.5 inch.straight pipe from the cat,i kept the cat but removed the resinator..its not loud,well from the inside its preety quiet..and felt soem difference.i wodner how it wouldve been without the cat

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just an fyi, your turbo is acting as your resonator.

why dont you get a test pipe? that way you can remove the cat when you want.

ervstr

boosted_ek
5+ Year Member
yeah i was thinking of that,but my uncle told me if i wanna get rid of the cat,he will just bust up the inside.idk thats what he sed.but i kinda like the results.nex tis fuel pump..

the walbro 255 intank fuel pump make any diffrence or thats just to even out fuel/air mixture

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
he probably means gut the cat, which would be the same thing as a test pipe. a gutted cat just means it would pass a visual inspection

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So you guys think I'll be pretty quiet then with a boosted d16y8 with just a muffler and not the resinator?