Keep the Hatch alive... currently: stock D15B2 and stock 5 speed... What next?

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hello,

I currently have a 1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch with about 220,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping this car until it fully dies... Even then, I would like to replace the engine and transmission with a new one to keep this car going since it is so good on gas and cheap to insure.

My question is: What would be my best engine/tranmission choice to replace the all stock D15B2 and 5-speed tranny? What would the rough cost estimate be? Where would I find one? (website?)

The car's shell is in great condition. I would also like to keep this car going for gas reasons (not really that big into performance) so I would hate to lose substantial gas mileage during the upgrade.

Thank you for the suggestions...

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A d15b2 with another d series transmission would be best for what you want. If the car has lasted 220,000 miles already, isn't it obvious that its a damn good setup from the factory?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i agree

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree with your recommendation... I guess the question is: Where the heck do i find one of these motors at?... I don't feel too comfortable rolling the dice on another D15B2 from the junkyard. I would like to find a D15B2 that is brand new if I could... Being that it is an old motor I'm not really sure where to look and have little confidence in one that is "rebuilt" from a local shop. I guess I would have to look at warrantys... Any recommendations? Thanks

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're not gonna find one new anymore unless you want to pay big bucks from the dealership. Just get a rebuilt one, but assuming you don't over heat and warp the block or seize the motor from running without oil or some other epic catastrophe, that engine will be able to be easily rebuilt by a knowledgeable shop in a couple days

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its all about the $, if you okay with spend some bucks, buy a remanufactured one from a reputable dealer, onlything youll run into is that most companys want you to have it installed by a pro in order to validate the warrenty....

a good company like that is called, jasper engines

but if you want to be a little easier on the wallet, go find one at a junk yard (i know were a few motors are over here near me) find a reputable machine shop, tell them you want a full rebuild with balance and blueprint, and ask if they offer a warrenty (some will some wont)

then just put it in your self and youll be good to go.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the responses..

@MistahJuice - thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps i'm overthinking this a bit due to my lack of knowledge of engine rebuilds/swaps... I had a bad experience with an engine rebuild with my first car (89 Buick Skylark)... The engine leaked oil and it was in terrible condition after the rebuild... it was a nightmare!... maybe, i didn't find a good shop... Anyhow, I suppose a rebuilt engine can be good as new... I just have this opinion that it can never be trusted like an original oem Honda engine...

@95CTR - although a rebuild sounds like a great experience to get my hands dirty and learn, I don't feel i have the skills or knowhow to try this myself. I would definitely need to work with someone with experience or turn the job over to professional. Pulling a motor out of the junkyard makes me nervous because most of the 4th gen civic I come across are high mileage engines themselves. Doesn't seem worth the gamble to pull an engine i know nothing about... I guess I need to find a mentor locally who can assist me with this project...

I just want to have my options available in the event my 220,000 mile engine decides it had enough... until then, I am continuing with maintenance to see how much more i can get out of it...

Thanks

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
another thing... i'm not too concerned about spending a little cash (obviously the cheaper the better); it appears cheaper to keep this hatch going than buying a new car...

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your going with the same motor that you already have its like playing with big heavy legos. honestly.

and like my sig says, if all you do is daily drive that thing the miles will keep racking up, im at 656k now, lol and the only thing i have is a little valve tick, which if i were to do a timing belt and valve guid seals i think would go away. but what ever lol
im just driving mine till it blows then doing a B swap.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your located anywhere near me id be willing to help ya when the time comes lol

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i appreciate the offer... I'm all the way in Denver, CO though... would be nice to find another enthusiast locally who knows this type of stuff... It gets very overwhelming trying to learn it without a mentor or somebody to bounce ideas back and forth with... guess I'll keep driving it and worry about it the day it happens...

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have a whole site of us, not just one lol, and when the time comes I can make a walk threw for you, if theres not already one on here lol.