Keyless Entry Doesnt Work

Dough

5+ Year Member
Hey, this has been a problem for around a year now: The remote does not do anything to the car...

the car is a Canadian market 99 DX/special edition it has keyless entry and a d16y7...

the power locks function, i can use the driver side silver switch to unlock/lock all the doors... the problem is that pressing any remote button does not do anything, the battery has been changed, the red light lights up when i press a button. One mechanic tried locking hte rmeote to the car and it didnt work

Is there a way to fix this?

f4113n

Fu
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know about Canadian cars but USDM DX doesn't come with Keyless Entry which means you probably bought it.

Take the s**t back.

The End.

AgentSlim

Do Work Son
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you replace the factory head unit? If so your keyless won't work:(

Gradeless

RICE FTMFW !
5+ Year Member
SEARCHING is your best friend ( http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=120046 )

if you have an aftermarket deck in your car then you need to find an oem one and splice it into a constant 12volt power source and then hide it behind you after market deck behind you dash. you should have two (2)
green plugs back in there and one of them will plug into the back of the oem headunit (usually the small one)
there is no adapter to fix this out on the market so either you find an oem headunit or you can buy an aftermarket alarm/ keyless entry system and that will also fix it.... it'll make your domelight work too:lol:

Enjoy

Last edited:

Dough

5+ Year Member
Keyless entry was a factory option i believe. The car has a/c, power locks, engine block heater, body coloured doorhandles and a spoiler, so i am almost positive that the keyless entry system was installed from the factory as an option or package or whatever. The car has a special edition sticker on the bottom right of the trunk lid. The factory head unit (just a radio) is in the car as well and has never been taken out.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
maybe it just needs to be re programmed.

Dough

5+ Year Member
My mechanic tried it once. It cant hurt to try again, where can i find instructions to do it?

Dough

5+ Year Member
I could not program the remote. I did it threee times, and still no luck it does not make a "cycling noise (clunk)" as described in step 5....

what else could it possibly be? I'd love to have the keyless entry working again.

What about a fuse? I just had a look down there it was awfully hard ot pull out a fuse and replace witha spare... is it possible a fuse is casuing this problem? There is a fuse according to the diagram that plays with teh keyless entry....

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
has the keyless entry worked before?

Check in the driver's side kick panel, that's where the keyless entry module is. check if it is plugged in and check the harness

Dough

5+ Year Member
alright, thanks for the help i'll try checking the control module after work... If anyone could post pictures, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Dough

5+ Year Member
ok so i got it out....pulled out the circuit board, had a look at it, it looked fine, no burnt things no faulty solder joints.

it was plugged in and the harness looked ok... i dont have a digital multimeter, gonna buy one this weekend and check everythign as specified in the service manual....

changed the fuse, still no go...

any more suggestions? I want it fixed, seems liek relatively few parts that could be the source of the problem... but nothign seeems to work!

any help appreciated!

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is the keys in ignition alarm working, like does it work when the key is in the igniton and the driver's door is opened?

Dough

5+ Year Member
I dont quite understand your comment....

when the key is in the ignition and a car door is open it beeps at me (to remind you the car is on with keys inside)...
when the key is in the ignition, and i use the keyless entry remote, nothing works... the remote never does anything when i press any of the buttons....
when the key is in the ignition the power locks work normally...

edit on a side note: is this related to my trunk light not working?

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I dont quite understand your comment....

when the key is in the ignition and a car door is open it beeps at me (to remind you the car is on with keys inside)...
when the key is in the ignition, and i use the keyless entry remote, nothing works... the remote never does anything when i press any of the buttons....
when the key is in the ignition the power locks work normally...

edit on a side note: is this related to my trunk light not working?
I just wanted to know if it was working because the keyless entry in my '96 EX wasnt working because of the beeping not working.

johnny p

5+ Year Member
did you replace the factory head unit? If so your keyless won't work:(

easy killer... any reputable audio shop has carried the harness that keeps factory keyless functional at least since 01 or 02. i keep at least 5 or 6 in stock at all times.

Dough

5+ Year Member
took it to the dealership they want to do diagnostics, ie. 100 bucks to find out whats wrong.... then labour and parts for the rest... new remote = 90, new control unit (thing in kick panel) = 550... canadian... ridiculous...gonna get a multimeter and check the control unit myself... if its that then check junkyards... whats the likelyhood someone ripped off the kick panel and took it?