Knock Sensor Pigtail

Steven Johnson

Respected
Hey everyone, how's your weekend?

I'm looking for a 1998 Honda Civic (D16Y8) Knock Sensor Pigtail. When replacing my current knock sensor, I noticed the connector was split from the harness and the current connector is unsalvageable. I called Honda to see if they could get the part, but they said it's impossible now. My best bet would be to contact a junk yard or ebay.

I found this on eBay, is it worth the buy? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-IAT-INTAKE-AIR-TEMPERATURE-FAN-KNOCK-SENSOR-PLUG-PIGTAIL-INTEGRA-CIVIC-/181824748692?hash=item2a55997c94&vxp=mtr Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to keep driving around without a working knock sensor. My timing and everything is already off and this is my daily. Need this fixed, ASAP.

bonspeed

5+ Year Member
just go to a wrecker and cut the plug/socket of the fan switch from any 88-00 civic or 90-01 integra. honda doesn't sell just the pigtail, it's usually part of the whole harness.

Steven Johnson

Respected
just go to a wrecker and cut the plug/socket of the fan switch from any 88-00 civic or 90-01 integra. honda doesn't sell just the pigtail, it's usually part of the whole harness.
It's more convenient for me to order what I posted. Will that work?

Steven Johnson

Respected
UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update regarding my knock sensor issue.

I purchased the pigtail I linked off in the original post. I attempted to install today and noticed the original harness only has one red/blue wire and the pigtail as two wires - one red and one black. So, how does this hook up? I'm lost.

Regardless, I attempted to do the knock sensor bypass with a transducer. I always see this 'hack' floating around, but my code keeps popping up even after the bypass. So, I want to actually properly fix my knock sensor, but I'm lost as to how if the pigtail doesn't work?

Any info would be helpful! I feel like the sensor is throwing off my timing a big since it's VERY sluggish in low RPM. I've already checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the IACV and throttle. Has to the the knock sensor, right?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How are you lost? You ordered the wrong part because you didnt bother to inspect the damaged one for comparison. Quit whining, accept that you made a mistake, and move on to searching for and ordering the correct plug since you refuse to go to a junkyard and pull one out yourself. Dont be surprised if you cant immediately find the correct plug online, but thats the choice YOU are making.

Do note that one well planned junkyard trip will solve your problem. Call before to confirm they have multiple Civics of you generation, then take 2 or three to be on the safe side. Theyll be dirt cheap anyways.

Steven Johnson

Respected
How are you lost? You ordered the wrong part because you didnt bother to inspect the damaged one for comparison. Quit whining, accept that you made a mistake, and move on to searching for and ordering the correct plug since you refuse to go to a junkyard and pull one out yourself. Dont be surprised if you cant immediately find the correct plug online, but thats the choice YOU are making.
Figured I wouldn't have to worry since the seller stated, even in private message, it would be fine. It is what it is. If there was a junkyard with the sensor local, I'd have it. Already did research. Still can't find the correct plug anywhere....waiting game I guess.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Figured I wouldn't have to worry since the seller stated, even in private message, it would be fine. It is what it is. If there was a junkyard with the sensor local, I'd have it. Already did research. Still can't find the correct plug anywhere....waiting game I guess.
Well, then accept responsibility for blindly accepting a loose guarantee with no details provided and you not doing your due diligence.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No need to be a d**k, but ok.
Its not intended to be rude, but you did come off like you were whining about a simple situation with few options. Youre usually well composed, so you needed a man-slap.

Steven Johnson

Respected
Its not intended to be rude, but you did come off like you were whining about a simple situation with few options. Youre usually well composed, so you needed a man-slap.
No whining, just venting my own frustration over my own stupidity? lol