lack of power...engine hesitation. d16y7 automatic 1998 honda civic

Jonoyj335

hi,

i have been trying to track down this thing forever. it all started when i noticed a lack of power especially when going up hills. i also moved recently and the car almost bogged down to crawl when i loaded it up with stuff. it had so little power (and i don't have alot of stuff to move). Also at times i will be coasting down the road and will want to go faster. i will press the accelerator to the point where the engine should rev and speed up but nothing happens. i become impatient and press it harder and harder but nothing changes and then all of the sudden the engine revs extremely high and starts to go faster as if something finally woke it up. these symptoms occur on and off. i have done various things to try and improve this and sometimes they help but it always seems to go back to where it was before. here are the things i have done.

compression test = good values
ignition timing test = stock timing
fuel pressure test = 30 psi at idle, 40 psi with fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose pinched.

haven't changed air filter but looks clean
changed valve cover gasket.
changed spark plugs
changed spark plug wires
changed cap and rotor
changed cracked exhaust manifold (it was the exhaust manifold cat combo)
changed both o2 sensors
changed fuel filter
changed transmission fluid (no metal shavings however i think i over filled it..could this be a cause?)
changed power steering fluid
changed radiator fluid
ran lucas fuel injector cleaner through it
indexed the spark plugs
removed various objects from the car to make it lighter.

also there are no check engine lights. I did however get a cylinder 2 misfire immediately after changing the fuel filter but it hasn't come back. I also periodically got a CEL for improper fuel mixter but that was probably due to the cracked exhaust manifold because i replaced it and it hasn't come back.

I was going to try tightening the throttle cable but i doubt that will do anything.

my rear wheel bearings are kind of loud. could this cause this?

I was also going to check the timing belt marks to see if the cam and crank shafts are correctly in time. who knows it might have jumped a tooth. do you think this is what is causing it?

the next thing i was going to test is the TPS sensor but shouldn't that give a CEL light if that was a problem? or could that be a problem and not give a CEL light at all? I am at my wits end here.:(

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Definitely check timing belt to see if it jumped a tooth, what did you change the exhaust manifold with, stock header/cat combo or something else? Is the idle normal, no chance of vacuum leak or iacv problem? Never had these issues before so I don't have any experience just trying to throw out ideas. TPS could be a possibility or even ecu.

Jonoyj335

Definitely check timing belt to see if it jumped a tooth, what did you change the exhaust manifold with, stock header/cat combo or something else? Is the idle normal, no chance of vacuum leak or iacv problem? Never had these issues before so I don't have any experience just trying to throw out ideas. TPS could be a possibility or even ecu.
thank you for the reply.

the exhaust manifold was a dorman.

idle seems normal.

vacuum leak was one of the things i was looking into. i'm not sure which hoses under the hood could be the culprit though.

I was also going to look into the TPS and test it with a multimeter.

would ECU problems throw a CEL? keep in mind i have no CELs as of late.

also another symptom i've noticed is that there appears to be a ticking sound near the back of the engine possibly under the fuel injectors.

I was also going to try and measure the fuel volume since the PSI is correct. but i'm not really sure how to do this. I was thinking of removing the fuel filter and just connecting a hose to the fuel line, turning the car to the on position but not starting it and measureing how much fuel comes out in 30 seconds. Would this work in measure the fuel volume accuretely?

Jonoyj335

clogged up muffler maybe??
lol really?

my muffler is kinda loud now that i think about it.

i put my hand to it and there was air coming out, i guess it could be partially clogged.

is there any way to test if it is the problem?

i don't want to blow money on a new muffler and have it not fix anything.

thanks for the reply btw

504scene

hell take it off and run it easiest way i kno lol had a friends whos accord did that but it was his cat that was clogged up

Jonoyj335

thanks for the help so far guys. still open to any and all suggestions.

preferably things that wouldn't cost anything to test.

that muffler suggestion is perfect.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just try resetting the ecu and see if that temporarily/permanently fixes it. As for testing an exhaust leake you've got 2 main options that will find major leaks.
1. disconnect intake hose from box then cover it with your hand of cover the throttle body to choke the engine, if it doesn't die in like 2 seconds or it doesn't die at all then you got a pretty good leak.
2. spray carb cleaner in various cracks and crevices around engine to see if idle changes.

99civiclx

5+ Year Member
Sounds like your transmission may be slipping. Definitely get the fluid level right.