leaking coolant

outkast209

Hi I have a 97 civic hatchback cx and my coolant is leaking but I cant find where its leaking from. How do I know if I have a blown head gasket?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Compression test will be a help. Does your car blow a white smoke when you give it gas? There's not a ton of places it can be leaking.

Does it leak when you drive only, or do you see spots on the ground? If you see spots on the ground, you can generally check the area above it, make sure your clamps are on properly, make sure the hoses are on all the way. You can give them a bit of a squeeze and make sure nothing is dripping from them.

Check by your crank pulley, maybe your water pump seal is shot, happened to me.

Check the top of your radiator, I've had the seal at the top go on me also, where the metal finger hold the plastic top piece, around there.

If your heater core was leaking, you'd likely smell coolant inside of your car, and there'd likely be dampness on the floor.

If I remember correctly, there's just the two hoses for the radiator, 2 hoses for the heater core, and I think like 1 or 2 other hoses that connect around the thermostat housing,. You can follow those and make sure everything looks correct.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
second on the coolant pressure tester. it is an adapter that installs in place of your rad cap and there is a pump and dial gauge for pressure.