LED Indicators: Relay or Resistors?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I installed amber LED rear turn signal bulbs (7440) since I tinted my tail lights red & want to keep the indicators looking amber. Of course, theyre flashing quickly now. Ive done some research and apparently its better to change the Turn Signal Relay, for the sake of reducing power consumption, instead of installing load resistors, which will still draw the same current as standard bulbs. If this is true, someone please advise what relay I should use. Also, is the reduction in power consumption significant enough to justify the relay over the resistors?

If I do install resistors, what would be the best wire location to install them for the EK coupe rear indicators?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i relay will do nothing, all it does is use low current to control high currrent.

yes you will need to add resistors to keep the same flashing rate, your led has a different resistance which means you need to make it match the old bulb. you could attempt to change the flasher but im not sure which one would work and if it would even work really. adding resistors would be easier

PHAHEEM

I installed LED turn signal bulbs in the rear of my car, and were blinking fast...

Solution?

Electronic Flasher Relay. About ~$9 when I ordered it from Advance Auto Parts website. That's all you need to install to get your LED bulbs to flash normally.

Once I swapped the OEM flasher relay with the electronic one, my blinkers/hazards flashed at the normal rate again. No problems. Only thing is that the electronic flasher relay blinks slightly faster than the OEM relay, but it doesn't matter because you're using LED bulbs anyway.

This is what I bought: Click Here. They also have coupons on their website so make sure to use them!