Legal Turbo's In California

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
200-230ish probably more in the ball park

D16Y8nSD

I wasn't saying I wanted to get a Edelbrock and definitely not getting a Greddy kit....I was just wondering about using it for smog and visual reasons, then swapping to a better turbo etc....but nevertheless, I think I have my situation figured out, as I can register it in Nevada and bypass all the Cali BS...problem solved!!!

D16Y8nSD

So, on that note, what are some good recommendations for a daily driven vehicle? I want to keep my a/c and p/s, I would like to sit between 300-400 whp, but I want reliability the most (I know some of you will say "good luck" on the reliability issue, but I know there are people that have done it, I just don't know where to start).

I'm not so worried about the cost (ok, I do have a budget in mind, but reliability is key), but the more I spend on the turbo or Kraftwerks supercharger setup, the less I will have to complete other modifications within the time frame I would like to complete my project (trying to get it all done in 9 months or less). Also, how much power can I throw at the stock D16Y8 before I have to start upgrading internals on the engine itself? Thanks for everyone's opinions and input.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nevada doesn't have A.r.b division like cali I don't think so you would be clear on that but nevada does have some of the same and some more strict smog laws.if you want reliability get a go-autoworks kit, cheapest kit is like 2200 and you get to pick stuff like your turbo size, bov, wastegate and all that. You will still need to buy injectors, ecu (and conversion harness) and fuel pump,d16 motors are good from 200-250 on stock internals but remember torque is what kills motors and bad ignition timing.

When someone puts all the money into getting smog tests done for air resource board certification I believe they stay, I'm not sure where they put the carb eo# on the greedy and edelbrock but as long as that remains in the kit where it belongs it will be legal. No one would ever know if you were to piece together a greddy or edelbrock kit from used parts online as long as they are the originals. Wonder if Greg at go-autoworks ever plans on trying to make his kits carb legal

Cooper12

Respected
is there a California thread to ask this as well? Im sure there are hundreds of turbocharged civics out our way though i haven't actually counted them :thumbs up