lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2003 VR6 VW Jetta GLI

It's been a while but I am back into a VW again.

I have had 2 bugs (1972 Super and 1974 Super), a 1981 Rabbit, and a 1986 Cabrio. Loved the '74 and the Rabbit. The Cabrio had potential but I felt gay in it. Big dude in a convertible little car...no bueno. The '72 was a project that never got off the ground and I sold it for parts.

Here is my latest. I picked this up from my best friend after my civic was totaled 2 weeks ago on account of some dude feeling that his pick-up needed to see the inside of my trunk at 50 mph while I sat in traffic.

Here she is 2003 Jetta GLI 24v VR6. Has just a hair over 100k on the clock. Lowered, Euro front bumper, brand new wheels (Neuspeed), heated leather, Magnaflow exhaust...

Will keep you posted as she moves along.

Last edited:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Welcome to the VW family. Not a bad pickup though. Not a fan of the rims and I wish it had the OE front lip.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome to the VW family. Not a bad pickup though. Not a fan of the rims and I wish it had the OE front lip.
I think the wheels look a ton better in person. Pics aren't really doing them justice. I am undecided weather I like the spacers on there or not. I am thinking about taking them off. Will rock it for a while and see how I feel.

To my knowledge that is the front lip that came with them up until '04 or '05?

I plan on changing out the lip. I am thinking of the anniversary one with the side and rear as well.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am loving how much more power this thing has compared to my little civic. It sounds awesome as well.

Have an upgraded front sway bar and a rear one to go on as well. Doesn't come with one on the rear normally so that should tighten things up!

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
delete sway bars, notch frame, section subframe and get motor mount spacers. then tank it

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
delete sway bars, notch frame, section subframe and get motor mount spacers. then tank it
That would be awesome, just don't have the funds or the time for that right now. Maybe.

Nice! Looks super clean. Inside shots?
Nothing special yet. Stock except for the monster mats and the b&m short shifter.

Going to swap out all the interior lights to l.e.d. when we get our stock back in at work and a double din Alpine touch screen is going in very soon.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Update:

Nothing big. I am waiting until I pay it off to do anything cost worthy. I have all of the bits to redo the whole cooling system as these are common for the crack pipe to fail so I got everything as a preemptive measure.

Also started saving up for air. I have kicked it around weather I want to do coils or air and decided on air. My parents borrow my car when ever I need to do maintenance on their cars so I can have them for a couple days and I don't want to have to readjust the coils every time they take it. Air would be so much more convenient and still get me the look and functionality that I am going for.

Picked up some mounts for the rack.

Double din installed. Also installed custom mount for the ipod/iphone. Goes where the ash tray was. Also started to change out some bits to the brushed aluminum R32/Anniversary edition ones.

Brushed/black door handle.

Custom license plate bracket that screws in where the tow hook goes. It's off a 2014 Porsche 991.

Blacked out the front and rear emblems. It's plastidip so I can take it back off anytime.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks good, did you install the double din?
Yes. I do all my own work. Was one of the harder installs I have done, but not the hardest. It was a lot of troubleshooting because of the fact that these don't have a fused keyed wire as it has the feature that keeps the electrics going until you actually remove the key out of the ignition. Was also a pain to install the rear camera as this head unit requires you to pull the e-brake, let it down, and pull it again (double tap) for the video to work. Don't really need a rear camera in a sedan but I already had a high end one sitting in my tool box so I figured what the hell. Plus it is nice to see as I am backing into the garage. It is a tight fit.

Thanks!

Not a fan of the rims either but maybe its the justice? Really nice inside and out, hope to see some good mods...
Very nice indeed. Everything works good (knock on wood). AC is cold, pulls good, and gas isn't too bad. Good platform to work with.

Yay for air!!!
Looking forward to it. It's been a while. Had air in one of my beetles for a short period and it was a blast. Only have $100 so far. Going to be a while....

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes. I do all my own work. Was one of the harder installs I have done, but not the hardest. It was a lot of troubleshooting because of the fact that these don't have a fused keyed wire as it has the feature that keeps the electrics going until you actually remove the key out of the ignition. Was also a pain to install the rear camera as this head unit requires you to pull the e-brake, let it down, and pull it again (double tap) for the video to work. Don't really need a rear camera in a sedan but I already had a high end one sitting in my tool box so I figured what the hell. Plus it is nice to see as I am backing into the garage. It is a tight fit.

I can see why. I want to install a double din in my civic, but I heard that if you mess with the head unit that the power locks don't work from the fob or something. The previous owner installed an Alpine head unit which is good and all, but I would love to have a double din especially the Bluetooth ones were you can talk on the phone. Even though I do that already by plugging in my phone to the aux port.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can see why. I want to install a double din in my civic, but I heard that if you mess with the head unit that the power locks don't work from the fob or something. The previous owner installed an Alpine head unit which is good and all, but I would love to have a double din especially the Bluetooth ones were you can talk on the phone. Even though I do that already by plugging in my phone to the aux port.
It's all hands free. Within seconds of starting the car my phone is paired and I can stream music and have full hands free phone capabilities. With my ipod plugged in to the dock I have navigation through apps, video, movies, youtube, pandora, spotify, you name it. I don't even need to take my phone out of my pocket. I can even dial by speaking if I need to.

If you have an aftermarket head unit in yours already, it is plug and play with the new one. Only difference between a double din is the screen and the added features that come with it. Speaker, power, remote wire, ground, keyed wire, etc are all the same. They should even be the same color so all you need to do is transfer over the new harness to the old one that is already there by putting same colors to same colors.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's all hands free. Within seconds of starting the car my phone is paired and I can stream music and have full hands free phone capabilities. With my ipod plugged in to the dock I have navigation through apps, video, movies, youtube, pandora, spotify, you name it. I don't even need to take my phone out of my pocket. I can even dial by speaking if I need to.

If you have an aftermarket head unit in yours already, it is plug and play with the new one. Only difference between a double din is the screen and the added features that come with it. Speaker, power, remote wire, ground, keyed wire, etc are all the same. They should even be the same color so all you need to do is transfer over the new harness to the old one that is already there by putting same colors to same colors.
All those features is what I want. How much was yours?

And when you talk about pairing the wires are you saying that I should match them by cutting where the harness from the car meets the aftermarket head unit? Like if this one had an adapter already I would cut off that one and match it up to the new one or what?

Caleb.N

my cuz has a 2006 mk1 Velocity with 2l 16v Abf motor in it, pretty damn quick for a naturally aspirated car.