lightweight flywheel vs stock

slod16

5+ Year Member
im debating whether to put a lightweight or keep the stock on my b18c1.Are they that beneficial?and also ive heard they suck to daily drive

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In my DD V6 eclipse I have a 6lbs flywheel and love it. Most people hate them for a dd, but i cant see why.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe it's simply more "work" to drive it.

You will lose RPMS faster too so you have to throttle blip/heeltoe to keep the car in it's powerband.

I want wun :D

slod16

5+ Year Member
yeah i heard it makes driving kinsda suck but not sure how true that is i may just go with stock

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have an 8.5 lb act lightweight and i love it, yes you can drop a few revs if you don't shift quick enough, but it isn't drastic, with a little work you can shift just like stock without the drop. The upside you just lost 10 lbs on your crank and rev up faster, noticeably faster. the hardest thing IMO is daily driving you need to get use to the low inertia of the flywheel, you may have to engage a couple hundred rpms higher for 1st gear to get moving because there is less weight behind it, i notice it only if i have a couple of people in the car, by my self is no problem. it is good to pair with a good aftermarket clutch to be able grab it and also shift quick at higher rpm's with out a drop. also look for steel lightweight ones, they will last longer and can be resurfaced several times more than the aluminum ones, i know act makes an all steel one than can be resurfaced at least 3 times.

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
If you have a stock clutch then it won't be that much of a difference for dd but if you had like a stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel then dd will be a pain. I drove my cousin's gsr and he had a stage 3 clutch and 8lb flywheel and and in first gear if you let off the clutch for ore then a inch the car stall out unless you are pressing alot of gas but I got us to it after the first stall out but still you got to always keep a good feet on the clutch when in 1st gear. Hope that help