limp mode???

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just bought a civic wit d16z6 and before the car wouldn't start but after changing the dizzy, it was fixed... it ran strong as hell... but now... two days later after fixing the clutch pedal (cuz it was not engaging and disengaging fully, it owuldn't go in gear properly) so i filled the clutch resovouir then two days later took it out for a spin and can't get over 3500 rpm....got no cel and pretty sure the light works cuz it turns on when i go to start the car...
it was raining sleet and since the hood has a scoop, ice was on the valve cover and spark plug wires... also put in a short ram today too...and thats it... any ideas?

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not a pro but I think you might have got water in everything... I would start with a tune-up and go from there.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wierd. its something with the ecu. i have a chipped p28 for my turbo setup and i can't get over 3500 rpms either. i thought the bov or wg was dumping but its not. 3500 rpms the motor studders like hitting the rev limiter

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it won't go over 3500 rpms, it means that the ecu is using the backup proccessor on limited map settings. In other words, the ecu is fried (broken some how).

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could give a try, it could just be a bad eprom or some loose tracks on the board.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the car now dies whenever i let go of the throttle... i cleaned the IACV but didn't do much for me.... i seafoamed it... didin't fix anything.... i need help!!!!! its still stuck in limp mode and now it dies cuz the rpm just drops to 0

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's something wrong with the ecu. You could look for broken tracks on the board, loose sauter points or try another working ecu.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i took another ecu and tried it
i reved it and it hesitated at 3500 liek beofre.... ididn't dirve around in it but i can already tell that its doin the samething
i checked for codes cuz cel isn't on (light DOES work) but when i put in the clip, the cel light stays on... doesn't flash or blink... it just stays on

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try this, get a can of starting fluid. And spray it around the seals, hoses on the intake manifold. hmmm...try checking the psi level on the fuel rail. It could also be clogged fuel filter and/or bad fuel pump.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how would you know if the pump is bad? i can hear mine during start up and during idle and driving. i just changed my fuel filter and i haven't been able to go above 3500 rpms yet. im reburning my chip tomorrow.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm bout to drop it at the shop tomorrow and leave it there for a few days... its really pissing me off.... i need to liek spend so much money to test and replace stuff just to see if its that... i have no code..

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
autozones got the code reader. you plug the computer up and it tells you. you gotta find out what throws the car in limp mode. then check the sensor. it could be somthing stuck in ur tail pipe or clogged cat

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
try to find an obd1 reader. if you do throw a cel, try it. so you just can't get over 3500? my will act like its hitting the rev limiter at 3500 but i have a cel. im going to autozone tonight, so ill post up what the result of the check is to maybe narrow your problems as well as mine

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jason_guy_yeah said:
I'm blank on this point, ask green91.
lol me too haha im' soo pissed... it was ok one day and messed up on another.... i think imma drop it off at the shop and let them deal wit it... i'm tired of it i've searched H-t and CC for it... checked w/e i could.... and still no good.... the answers didn't help me