Looking at Del Sol. Need opinions

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking at a Del Sol on craigslist. Looking for opinions on if it is a decent deal or not and about possible repairs. I commute 90 miles a day on backroads in the country to get to school and back.

Repairs need right away
-Driver side axle
-cam seal

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/5408730266.html

Here is my convo with the owner.

So what do you guys think?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like it needs more than 150-200 bucks in parts. I'd check it out and see if you want to, but me personally I'd keep looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks a little rough, I think I would look for something a bit better maintained for a daily. It won't be fun if those seals around the doors and the roof leak either.

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
I think the price is high for what it is, and you can do better if you keep looking.
Don't jump on the first thing you see.
I looked up the Blue Book for it and the fair value (what I always get cars for is $1,000.
The Excellent (and this isn't in Excellent shape) was 1,700 in my area.)

bairdandrew77

I'd personally pass on that too. Asking too much with a high mile 4 speed and the beat up body.
Maybe you're fine with a 4 speed manual in a civic and can easily fix the dents, rust, rear bumper, and bent hood.
At least the interior is clean and there's a supposedly lower mile engine in there

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd personally pass on that too. Asking too much with a high mile 4 speed and the beat up body.
Maybe you're fine with a 4 speed manual in a civic and can easily fix the dents, rust, rear bumper, and bent hood.
At least the interior is clean and there's a supposedly lower mile engine in there

I actually bought the car. The underbody and suspension had absolutely no rust. It was meticulously taken care of. And had documentation of the engine having 89k being put in just over a year ago.

Plus cars are more expensive here in the great white north, so it's actually really cheap in comparison to others.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
beside the the dings and dents, its pretty good buy being that only thing you really had to do is get another axle and cam seals.... cam seals are the easist thing to do.... come to NY a original SI del sol with the factory b16a is worth good money, f**k what blue book of kelly says they're prices are always tooo low...i bet you 1000$$$ that if looked up the blue book value of my car it would be around 1000$ ore maybe less but my car is worth way way more then that. 2000 is not bad at all. here in ny that del sol would still get sold with quickness for 2500$ and about 3500$ if it was completely mint shape without any problem or a single scratch on the paint and with low miles.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
beside the the dings and dents, its pretty good buy being that only thing you really had to do is get another axle and cam seals.... cam seals are the easist thing to do.... come to NY a original SI del sol with the factory b16a is worth good money, f**k what blue book of kelly says they're prices are always tooo low...i bet you 1000$$$ that if looked up the blue book value of my car it would be around 1000$ ore maybe less but my car is worth way way more then that. 2000 is not bad at all. here in ny that del sol would still get sold with quickness for 2500$ and about 3500$ if it was completely mint shape without any problem or a single scratch on the paint and with low miles.
Not that it matters now that he got the car....
But 1: salvaged car with original motor would point to MAJOR body damage.
2. Blue book doesn't calculate salvage, but is pretty spot on, almost always
3. Your car is worth no more than poor condition, whatever that number is via kbb and if it was 3k id be shocked
4. A non salvaged car is 2k in this shape and about 5 others on Craigslist in your area for the same price..

Just my thoughts

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^Tom, I bought a different car that I posted later in the thread

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
3. Your car is worth no more than poor condition, whatever that number is via kbb and if it was 3k id be shocked
4. A non salvaged car is 2k in this shape and about 5 others on Craigslist in your area for the same price..

Just my thoughts
lol i can sell my motor alone for 5k cheapest and my full suspension for another 3k

dancam

Registered VIP

Just my thoughts
A $1000 car can get written off for a broken bumper...
lol i can sell my motor alone for 5k cheapest and my full suspension for another 3k
Yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
A $1000 car can get written off for a broken bumper...

Yay.

dan just want to let you know my g22 that i have in my civic right is basically fully built from top to bottom inside out and i have basically full suspension upgrades

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
salvaged car with original motor would point to MAJOR body damage.
That's not necessarily true.
It really depends on the age of the car and mileage.
I had a '96 Hx that had a salvage title simply because it had been hit up front, with damage to the headlight and bumper cover.
Upon taking the front end off, I saw nothing to support any structural damage to the bumper support, fender area or bulkhead.
It was one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned and other than regular wear and maintenance items, the car gave me no trouble.
So for me, getting the car at a discounted price because of the "S" title was a good thing for me.
It really is a case by case basis.

dancam

Registered VIP
dan just want to let you know my g22 that i have in my civic right is basically fully built from top to bottom inside out and i have basically full suspension upgrades
Thats fine, but that has nothing to do with the topic and if you dont have a copy of a recent appraisal an insurance company will only pay you the $1000 book value if it gets wrecked. Minus a couple hundred for any hail dents, high milage or scratches/tinted windows...

bairdandrew77

Not trying to be a d**k, but I think KBB only gives an average price on stock cars. Pretty sure the civics they price on there don't have a "fully built f22/h22 hybrid swap" option. It also says on the site that the prices aren't exact and should only be used for comparison purposes, or something along those lines.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Before this goes any further off topic. I'd like to add that KBB is a estimating tool and by no means always accurate. Car values will vary by location, first of all. Secondly, I theorize they estimate car values based on recorded sale prices and some other tool Im not aware of that estimates depreciation. The reason I guess that is because In South Florida, Civic value is way more than listed on KBB but alot of people down there sell their Civics for more than whats listed on the bill of sales for the sake of reducing the taxes paid when titling and registering the vehicles. Again, these are examples.

Now back to the thread topic. @stcopley , hows this Del Sol doing? Lets see some pics of what you're working with now.