Looking for DIY Custom Rear Deck lid Ideas

asd044777

5+ Year Member
I've got 2 12 in Subs and they create soooo much rattle in the rear deck lid because its made of bullsh** plastic. I want to just build my own out of i guess ply wood but I need some ideas...pictures of others if anyones got them. Lil help please????

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont know about plywood, but dynamat works wonders for rattles. mine rattled just with factory speakers, a little dynamat and voila all is quiet on the western front. if you are seriously going to make a deck lid, i say mdf and fiber glass, and be sure and document the build.

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont use plywood, use MDF board, its the same stuff they build sub boxes out of. 3/4in thickness, can get it at home depot.

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member
just take out the factory one and fiberglass it. cheapest and best looking way.

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member
take out the factory deck and the material that covers it

cut 6 1/2" rings with spacers to make them rise about 2 1/2 inches above the deck itself

lay fleece over the back deck(make sure to wrap it tight) then lay your fiberglass resin over the deck

you will proably need about 4 to 5 coats.

after you are finished with that sand it down and make it smooth the lay one 1/4" thick layer of bondo over the deck to fill in all of the imperfections.

after it hardens sand it down again, until everything it completely smooth

then lay either the carpet or vinyle over the deck to and screw the speakers of choice into place..

here a few pictures of a box that i designed and built for you to go by, this is something very close to what you will be doing....

good luck and let me know if you need any other help

asd044777

5+ Year Member
The deck is just one big piece of plastic....sorry for being so ignorant but how do I work with that or do i just start from scratch with a piece of mdf???

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member
either will work fine, MDF will take alot more work because you have to start from scratch, reshape, remold....ect ect

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
seems like waaaayyy to much trouble for a rear deck. to be honest. i wouldn't want to do that to something that's gonna be so easy for lurking eyes to peek at.