Looking For Purple Paint, That's Not A Wrap

Kevin Glover

Dupli-Color only has the Plum Matte Purple in a Wrap, I want a cool looking purple color like this .0.

Idc if it's matte, or gloss, I can clear coat the topcoat myself, I just want a decently priced purple paint, that isn't like $50 a can. Looking for rattle cans only, but bucket will work if I can't find a can. If someone can link some brands, or sites, I would appreciate that. This color of purple is what I am trying to achieve! :3

THANKS!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would recommend going to any auto body shop, or even a local paint shop in your area. They can blend any color of paint you want.

Kevin Glover

I would recommend going to any auto body shop, or even a local paint shop in your area. They can blend any color of paint you want.
Ya I got a few auto body shops in town, I'll have to poke around. I want to go the route of rattle cans for this new paint job.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Paint supply stores like sherwin williams can put what ever color you want into a spray can.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya I got a few auto body shops in town, I'll have to poke around. I want to go the route of rattle cans for this new paint job.
Why? At least buy a cheap paint gun at Harbor Freight. A full car rattle can paint job likely will not look very good.

Kevin Glover

Why? At leadt buy a cheap paint gun at Harbor Freight. A full car rattle can paint job likely will not look very good.
hm, okay, I'll check into that. I was originally going to go the route of foam roller, or spray gun, but you're right, if I want to do this the right way, and quick/efficiently, the spray gun will do the job.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why? At leadt buy a cheap paint gun at Harbor Freight. A full car rattle can paint job likely will not look very good.
it all depends how much time you want to put into it to make it look good, a good gun requires less coats and less sanding overall but i have seen a few spray paint jobs in person that look really good, main thing though is normal spray paint is cheap paint vs automotive paint to it wont last as long. if you go to an automotive paint place and have them mix and put it in a can it will probably last depending on your clear coat and the work put in.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also keep in mind that if you rattle can your entire car, it will require much more prep work and the possible use of a sealant in order to properly perform a automotive paint job in the futire when you can afford it. I went through thst mission already myself with the crappy rattle can flat black job my car had when I purchased it. Lucky for me that my friend oens a shop and I performed about 80% of the prep, seal, & painting myself. I saved myself an easy $2000 in that process alone.

Kevin Glover

it all depends how much time you want to put into it to make it look good, a good gun requires less coats and less sanding overall but i have seen a few spray paint jobs in person that look really good, main thing though is normal spray paint is cheap paint vs automotive paint to it wont last as long. if you go to an automotive paint place and have them mix and put it in a can it will probably last depending on your clear coat and the work put in.
Alright for sure. I'll invest in a paint gun then. I talked to a buddy that is going to let me use his garage to paint in. He did however say that the air compressors use up a lot of electricity, so I am wondering how much that will cost haha. What would be the typical paint job cost? I am whiling to spend $500, I've seen the "DipYourCar" stuff, that costs upwards of $700. I am curious about the rattle can, and foam roller stuff, because I have seen a lot of really good paint jobs done like that, but I will agree, the prep work is mental haha, Lots of different grit sandpaper, and primer for days.

My current car color is Electron Pearl Blue, there is some fading on the roof, like wear in the paint, so you can see the hood metal, would I have to sand that all down, or can I spray over it. The front fenders, and front, and back bumper, are chipping too, but they are all after-market, so the base of the material is a black fiberglass I assume. I would like to maybe paint it the same Electron Pearl Blue, but what would be the best way to go about touching up the car? Thanks again!!

Also keep in mind that if you rattle can your entire car, it will require much more prep work and the possible use of a sealant in order to properly perform a automotive paint job in the futire when you can afford it. I went through thst mission already myself with the crappy rattle can flat black job my car had when I purchased it. Lucky for me that my friend oens a shop and I performed about 80% of the prep, seal, & painting myself. I saved myself an easy $2000 in that process alone.
Ya I have a garage I can use, but I've watched air gun paint videos, and it seems like people don't really prep as much as rattle can jobs. I've looked at a lot of Rust-Oleum paint job videos, and guides, and I've seen some pretty good ones, but it requires a lot of prep work. I replied above the current color of the car, it's the Si Electron Pearl Blue, I might just keep that color, but I would have to touch it up, but idk if I have to sand down the car or not really. The fenders are black, they are after-market, haven't been painted yet, and the front and back bumper are the same, but chipping a little.

*NOTE* The hood is an after-market Carbon Fiber hood, what would be the best way to remove the chipping clear coat, and re-apply a clear coat to the carbon fiber?

THANKS EVERYONE! :3

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Fenders will be easy to paint since they are just black, bumpers I'm not sure what people do about chipping but maybe bondo to make the chips flat with the paint then sand and paint over. I'm not sure you can repair the gel coat on a carbon fiber hood, I know they can be sanded and buffed out to make them clear again but I'm not sure you can fix chips and make them invisible like they were not there. There are oem touch up paint websites you can buy matching paint from, the roof probably won't be to noticeable but anything the the fenders and bumpers are going to be bright and shiny vs the old painted panels, probably best to paint the whole car unless you know how to blend

Kevin Glover

Fenders will be easy to paint since they are just black, bumpers I'm not sure what people do about chipping but maybe bondo to make the chips flat with the paint then sand and paint over. I'm not sure you can repair the gel coat on a carbon fiber hood, I know they can be sanded and buffed out to make them clear again but I'm not sure you can fix chips and make them invisible like they were not there. There are oem touch up paint websites you can buy matching paint from, the roof probably won't be to noticeable but anything the the fenders and bumpers are going to be bright and shiny vs the old painted panels, probably best to paint the whole car unless you know how to blend
Ya the chipping I am referring to is in the paint, not like the metal or anything, but there are some dents on the right side passenger side, towards the trunk, so I am going to bondo that. I might as well sand down the whole car, because why paint it, if I am going to bondo out the imperfections anyways. The gel goat on the hood is pretty much worn off, it's just like spots where it's there and not, I am sure I could sand it off with something like 320 grit, or 600 grit, nothing below 220, or it might mess up the actual hood. I can however sand down the car with 80 all the way to the metal pretty much, and then prime it with rattle cans, and go from there. And I agree, I am not the best with blending, so making new paint look good vs like 9 year old paint, because I looked up the VIN# for the car, and I think someone on this forum posted the Civic back in 2007, or it might of been another Civic forum, but that's pretty cool haha. When I have the time, I'll take some pictures! :3 That will help better for sure.

@Deaf_Dougie <-----This guy seems to do pretty well with a can.
Link me some of his work! .0. Because I think I can for sure get rattle cans cheaper than a gun, and I have done rattle can applications before, not just on cars, but other stuff, so prep/painting with rattle cans, I am super familiar with. Not saying I will make it look factory new, but I am confident I can make it look really good, like 8/10 on the s**t - factory new scale haha.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Be careful not to go past the gel coat or you will ruin the carbon strands. Also I was told that oem honda primer is pretty good and to not sand all the way down to bare metal, maybe take the hood down to bare metal but not the whole car.

Kevin Glover

imho if you want to keep it low budget then go for rattlecans.

for me I'll prefer to use rattlecans than real a paint job.
Ya man! I've seen a lot of rattlecan projects that look hella sweet! I love how your car turned out, looks really clean. But I've done tons of research on rattlecan jobs. 90% is prep, 5% is paint, 5% is gloss/cutting compound. A lot of getting rid of orange peel, and making it shinny is way after painting, cutting compounds and polishes. I made a Google Doc, and averaged my expenses to about $350 total for a really nice paint job, and that is including rim paint, valve cover paint, caliper paint, and even inside trim on the dash.

What sort of brands of paint did you use. I have been looking at Rust-Oleum, for primers I was going to use the normal primer for automotive, and then the rusty metal one for the tony bit of rust on the bottle of the side skirts, cause I heard that really helps covering up the rust, and preventing it from further happening.

If you have anymore work, or guides, feel free to link me, would love to see more :3 Thanks again fam!!!!!!!

Be careful not to go past the gel coat or you will ruin the carbon strands. Also I was told that oem honda primer is pretty good and to not sand all the way down to bare metal, maybe take the hood down to bare metal but not the whole car.
So just scuff the paint a bit, but not all the way off? and hmmmm I'ma have to research some good ways to remove the gel coat.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Its so funny that people complain about paying $40-$50 a gallon for paint but will pay $12 per rattle can and it will cost them more in the long run and the final product will look worse.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its so funny that people complain about paying $40-$50 a gallon for paint but will pay $12 per rattle can and it will cost them more in the long run and the final product will look worse.
Amen. :lol:

I have never seen a rattle can job that looked good. Sure most can make them look good in pictures but in person up close they look terrible. It's one thing to paint a front valance or smaller pieces with rattle can paint but to do a whole car and have it uniform without a TON of work and lots of cans.

I guess it depends on what you are after in a final product. I can already picture in my head how this is going to turn out. You going to remove everything and prep right? What about door seams, trunk, and engine bay? There is a reason a full color swap is very expensive.

Good luck. You have a very massive amount of work ahead of you if you are going to make this look remotely decent with that kind of paint.