Looking to buy 04/05 civic ex, wgat to look for?

Slammed01

Hello all, looking to purchase a 2005ish civic to commute and save some gas. Found a few from 85k-112k miles for $6-7000.

If maintained they will last along time I know, what are some common issues to look for? Should I take to mechanic to inspect? Heard 100k service is timing belt, plugs and water pump. Possibly belts and hoses and should be around $1300.

Just trying to stop commuting in my tahoe haha! Thank you and glad to join everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Buy one thats already had the first coolant flush and water pump change and had no issues. Quite often coolant flushes are done improperly on these cars and cause head gasket failures soon after.
Also get a manuel trans not an auto. Autos arent worth it, may as well get an 8th gen if you want auto.
Other than that just check the usual wear and tear stuff

Slammed01

Buy one thats already had the first coolant flush and water pump change and had no issues. Quite often coolant flushes are done improperly on these cars and cause head gasket failures soon after.
Also get a manuel trans not an auto. Autos arent worth it, may as well get an 8th gen if you want auto.
Other than that just check the usual wear and tear stuff

Thanks, prob buying from dealer so hard to tell what issues if any. Also.", auto is a must as its a commuter in stop n go. Don't like the 8th gen styling

Last edited by a moderator:

dancam

Registered VIP
Thanks, prob buying from dealer so hard to tell what issues if any. Also.", auto is a must as its a commuter in stop n go. Don't like the 8th gen styling

Ya, still a choice, i commute in stop and go with a standard, its not bad. So either take you chances with an auto or buy a toyota or chevy or something more reliable. I cant stand the 8th gen styling either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slammed01

Trannys r cheap lol, Chevys more reliable idk bout or heard that. You have personal experience?

dancam

Registered VIP
Trannys r cheap lol, Chevys more reliable idk bout or heard that. You have personal experience?

Oh, i didnt know having a tranny replaced was cheap, last person i know who had their auto trans go paid like $4000 for it to be replaced.
I didnt say a cobalt was more reliable, just said to find something that was. Shouldnt be hard since the 7th gen auto trans is almost guaranteed to have issues in the lifetime of the car.

Slammed01

Are you in Canada by chance? I can get a built tranny for half that for a newer tahoe that's a lot!

dancam

Registered VIP
Yes, honda transmissions are a lot of money. I was shocked when i started hearing prices from people for rebuilt accord and civic transmissions. Even a non-rebuilt, used trans from a wrecker with no warranty for a 2008ish accord 2 1/2 years back was $2000.