Looking to buy a car , either 6th or 7th gen civic

darthtony360

Hey everyone!

I have been thinking in terms of whether to repair/ replace the engine for my Honda civic 1997 DX Coupe Manual with 163,000 miles or to just get another car. The head gasket and the engine block are bad and I got opinions from two mechanics. One told me to repair or replace the engine, in which everything will cost $1200 and the other mechanic told me to expect to pay 622.00 to fix the head gasket , which indicates that engine might still work and it doesn't , then the cost of the repair will get to $1100.

I also been thinking of getting another reliable car , probably another civic. I have read negative reviews about the 7th gen and problems with transmission and other stuff. If they are no problems with the manual civics 01-05, then I can perhaps can buy one of those instead of a 6th gen

I was wondering if the manual transmission civics from 2001-2005 have any transmission problems??

Which year of the 7th gen is the most reliable and less problems?

Are they more reliable than the 6th gen civics (1996-2000)?

I'm in a budget of $2500 right now, hopefully to get $3000 to get another car by the end of month.

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All of the above mentioned years are as reliable as you make them to be. However, the 2001-2005 transmission problems almost always stem from the very weak and poorly designed clutch cylinder. Many owners are incapable of diagnosing it as failing and never replace the part until it causes wear and damage to the transmission synchros.

I think the million dollar question is what's your mechanical skill level? With 2500 you could buy a complete B18B1 (Integra LS) swap and put it in that 97 coupe with plenty of cash left over. Then you'd have a fun reliable daily driver. If you wanted to go even cheaper you could replace it with another D16Y7 low mileage engine.

If you're physically able, can retain information, and have tools/garage to work with... find some engine swap how-to's on the forums or on youtube and swap it yourself.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
All of the above mentioned years are as reliable as you make them to be. However, the 2001-2005 transmission problems almost always stem from the very weak and poorly designed clutch cylinder. Many owners are incapable of diagnosing it as failing and never replace the part until it causes wear and damage to the transmission synchros.

I think the million dollar question is what's your mechanical skill level? With 2500 you could buy a complete B18B1 (Integra LS) swap and put it in that 97 coupe with plenty of cash left over. Then you'd have a fun reliable daily driver. If you wanted to go even cheaper you could replace it with another D16Y7 low mileage engine.

If you're physically able, can retain information, and have tools/garage to work with... find some engine swap how-to's on the forums or on youtube and swap it yourself.
You couldn't have said it any better! I fully agree.