Looking to buy my first honda

Donahue

Respected
Well technically we do have a 2000 odyssey. But I know next to nothing about civics or any other Honda. I need a new commuter car since my 08 Sentra got wrecked. I was thinking a civic might be a good option for a little better mpg and maybe more fun to drive. I like the look of the hatchbacks but I think ac and other power options will take me down the road of an ex, likely a manual coupe. There are quite a few choices on the used market, but most have been modded way more than I need or want or understand. What should I be looking out for?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Well technically we do have a 2000 odyssey. But I know next to nothing about civics or any other Honda. I need a new commuter car since my 08 Sentra got wrecked. I was thinking a civic might be a good option for a little better mpg and maybe more fun to drive. I like the look of the hatchbacks but I think ac and other power options will take me down the road of an ex, likely a manual coupe. There are quite a few choices on the used market, but most have been modded way more than I need or want or understand. What should I be looking out for?
It can be difficult to find a virgin EX. Have patience. Stock, stock, stock is what you want to look for. They're out there. Besides the obvious stuff like no leaking/burning oil, an ideal candidate should start quickly, shift smoothly, go down the road straight, and have as little rust a s possible. Welcome to CC.

Donahue

Respected
Rust isn't a huge issue over here, we don't use salt. I've seen references to throw out bearings going bad, is this common? Also, are there particular years or motor/trans combinations to want, or avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donahue

Respected
Are the HX models worth getting in a stick?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

:welcome:

You're looking at 6th gen Civics, right? 1996-2000 range.

HX's are known for their fuel efficiency. If you want better gas mileage, a clean, stock HX is the way to go. It's also the least ballsy of the Civics, but IMO any D-series engine is really meant for economy not performance. @HeX can tell you everything you need to know about them.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're looking at 6th gen Civics, right? 1996-2000 range. HX's are known for their fuel efficiency. If you want better gas mileage, a clean, stock HX is the way to go. It's also the least ballsy of the Civics, but IMO any D-series engine is really meant for economy not performance. @HeX can tell you everything you need to know about them.
Ha! Thanks, XpLod3r. I wont claim to know it all about them, but I've definitely done a lot of homework.

If reliability and fuel efficiency are you primary goals and dont mind sacrificing out-the-gun acceleration due to its tall gears, then the HX is the way to go. Once theyre going they move quite well with its 115hp, and if you drive modestly then you will definitely reap the fuel benefits. If you baby the driving and have long highway-esque stretches then you can squeeze out MPGs in the mid to high 40s. Even if you try to drive vigorously, you should still get MPG in the mid-30s, which is what you can expect to get out of a manual EX with behaved driving. I definitely wouldnt recommend the CVT tranny HXs because they can be very expensive to repair. I've never driven a CVT HX, but all that I've read says they're really sluggish. If you go that route, it better be because you got solid assurances that the tranny was babied, and continue to do so.

Donahue

Respected
I want a stick anyways. It's funny mentioning performance. I have never really been a performance junky. The other day I looked up what vtec meant and thought it was neat. Then I saw that it typically was not activated until past about 5k and was like, oh I would never even have known it was there. I don't think I've ever driven a car past 4k, and that only when shifting. My first vehicle had an inline 6 with lots of torque and a low redline, coupled with a granny low 4 speed. My driving habits were formed and I've never quite been able to break them.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey, driving is about your comfort and not how others think you drive, so long as you dont drive like a jerk or a moron. I like performance, but right now I can only afford to sip gas.

Speaking of VTEC, while it is a great system, do keep in mind that the HXs have VTEC-e which works a bit differently and is more of a continuously opening system. On an HX, it feel nice and free once VTEC-e is fully open. I wont compare it to standard VTEC, where you feel a nice kick in performance, but its a respectable consolation considering your overall goal is fuel efficiency.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Good stuff in here. Bottom line for me is all 6th gen Civic trims are pretty solid cars (minus that CVT @HeX mentioned). They all get good mileage (especially for how old their technology is), they're easy to work on, and parts are cheap. Hopefully @Donahue, you can find a clean example to drive. Even stock they're a little fun to throw around every once in a while. But like already mentioned, it depends on your ambitions with the vehicle. I like stock generally. Keeps things less complicated and cheaper haha!

Donahue

Respected
Ok, so that's a bit of an exaggeration. But let's just say I want to keep it simple and functional.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, so that's a bit of an exaggeration. But let's just say I want to keep it simple and functional.
Then a 6th gen Civic is a great way to go for all the points Joe Mason & myself have stated.

bairdandrew77

Not sure if you're looking for something from the 90s or from this century. But if you don't care about speed and just want something reliable and nice to drive with good mpg, I agree with the others that a stock HX is a great choice. Or an EX is good too. Just know that you're losing a little mpg for a more powerful engine and shorter geared transmission. Probably has more luxuries too inside but I didn't pay attention to the inside when I was around an HX, so I don't know.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Donahue

Respected
How do 7th gen HX models compare to 6th gen? I know the suspensions are a little different, but anything else? There are a few 01 models around here with sticks for sale that look clean.

bairdandrew77

The 6th gens might get a little better mpg IIRC. Plus I feel like the designers did a better job on the interior. The 7th gen interior isn't bad, I just like like the older one more.

Personally I'd look for a 6th gen HX but wouldn't turn down a well maintained newer one if the price is right. You'll likely be happy with either for basic daily driving, assuming it has been maintained properly.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Donahue

Respected
I am looking to buy a civic at some point in the near future. In my price range, this is about the start of 8th gens. I'd like one that looks nice, but in way more interested in reliability and MPG than performance. Should I be considering the hybrid versions? I'd prefer a manual transmission for a non hybrid, but are there any issues looking into the hybrid models too? Any significant flaws that would these cars not last the typical 300k miles? I've got about a 20 mile commute each way with half being freeway.

Donahue

Respected
Well, I ended up with an 04 HX. It's got 137k and a 5 speed. Not to shabby for $2500. It needs some tlc, but what 10+ year old car doesn't?