Loose shift linkage stock d16y8

williammw20

Is the shift linkage supposed to be loose or nah? It's a stock d16y8 1.6 sohc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Like loose loose or just loose? Loose loose is a nah. Too tight is also a nah.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The joints, where they bolt up, should not be loose. You should be able to wiggle the shifter around with slight resistance but without any clanking noise. Jack up the car and inspect yours.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I had an issue with my shifter always coming loose from the linkage itself. I would tighten it up, but after some time would loosen again. Shift bushings were worn.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If your shifter feels "sloppy" or loose, you might need to replace your shifter bushings. It's relatively cheap and easy to do.
This. You can tighten the shifter on the linkage too, but if it loosens again that's a sign of worn bushings. At one point mine got so sloppy I couldn't even shift lol

williammw20

Thanks guys, my shifter has to much play in it lol I'll be driving let out of the gas & it'll move back& forth a little bit & when it's in gear I can move it at least an 1 1/2 to the left & right

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks guys, my shifter has to much play in it lol I'll be driving let out of the gas & it'll move back& forth a little bit & when it's in gear I can move it at least an 1 1/2 to the left & right

Yeah it's the shifter, not the linkage. I would try tightening it up. If it loosens again, replace the shifter bushings.

williammw20

How do you tighten it up though? & I stopped by auto zone & oreillys & neither of them carried the bushings. Do I have to get them from the dealership?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah it moving when you let off the gas could be mounts, but since it has a lot of play even when it's in gear, I would expect it to flop when letting off the gas as well.

You can tighten the shifter to the linkage by removing the center console and tightening with two ratchets (hold one in place, turn the other)... I THINK. I say I think because it's been 5 years, but it was something like that.

If you replace the bushings, I recommend getting Energy Suspension ones like these:

williammw20

Alright I'm gonna change the bushings anyways just so I know there good & tighten up the shifter & I'll check the mounts before I just go & buy them. I started to by a national bushing today like that circular one but wasn't sure if it was it or where it goes exactly. Gotta check into that more.

Do I tighten it on each end of the linkage or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

MotorMo

Respected
Common place for shift linkage "slop" comes from either a worn out rubber bushing at the transmission side, or the "joint" could be worn out on the trans side.
Most of the time replacing the shifter bushing makes a huge difference. If your linkage is worn out at the joint then the only remedy is to replace the linkage.

Here is a photo of both the bushing and the "joint" side by side.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Threads merged. Please keep one thread per question. You had answers in the original, there wasn't a need to start a whole new one the next day. If you started another one because you couldn't find the original please pm a moderator next time. :thumbs up

williammw20

00 civic ex 1.6l in 5th gear cruising figured I'd show how loose my shifter was & how much play it has. That's too loose right?

williammw20

I guess I'm playing with it. Lol & alright I'm just gonna replace the bushings regardless that way I know their loose

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
00 civic ex 1.6l in 5th gear cruising figured I'd show how loose my shifter was & how much play it has. That's too loose right?

That's just normal neutral play. Put it in a gear and post another video.