1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Loose shifter even in gear?!?!?

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by forcdincivic, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. forcdincivic

forcdincivic Needs More Snail Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

So i Just picked up a 93 ex coupe 5-speed. Stock tranny, motor, etc. As I drove it home I realize how loose the shifter felt. Even when in gear it felt like it was in nuetral. It would move to left and right at will with no real friction. In any gear it did this, all while still staying in gear. Are there any bolts that could be tightened? Maybe replace the linkage. I just got home and havent had a chance to throw it on the lift yet to see if anything is loose under there but just wondering if anyone else had this same problem at one point. I searched and found nothing so if anyone could throw some ideas that'd be great. Thanks

2. 1FastEX1994

1FastEX1994 ^ROFLcopter Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

might be your shifter bushings

3. got traction

got traction i rock the sohc Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

i would look to see if someone has replaced the "b***h pin" with a bolt. That would cause the shifter to feel loose and would cause it to move around alot. If there is a bolt i suggest purchasing a pin from your local dealership. They cost roughly 2 dollars.

4. forcdincivic

Thanks, I will definetly check that out. Are you talking a pin underneath where the shifter connects to the linkage? Sorry not familiar with the b***h pin although I have heard of it.

5. RonJ

RonJ Banned

I think Traction is referring to the spring pin, but definitely also check the bushings.

[​IMG]

6. forcdincivic

^Thanks Ron...that helps a lot!

7. forcdincivic

If the bushings are bad, maybe it will be a good excuse to get a short shifter and new bushings =)

8. 1FastEX1994

1FastEX1994 ^ROFLcopter Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Energy Suspension Bushings FTW

9. got traction

got traction i rock the sohc Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

i couldnt remember the real name for it...:lol:

10. RonJ

RonJ Banned

b***h pin is the name I know too. It's only when I refer to the manual that I am forced to remember its true name.

11. MrSamNC

MrSamNC New Member

Anyone have any suggestions/information on how to remove the Spring Pin? I am trying to replace my '86 Civic Hatch's clutch but cannot get this pin out... what's the secret?

Thanks!